How is 2007 shaping up?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by kootoomootoo, Mar 30, 2007.

1. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Started out real slow but improved the last 2 weeks. I can sell a $12,000 patio but cant sell a friggin mowing account to save my life. I listed mowing on my flyer for the first time .......I got a call from a guy who said " so all you all do is mowing" ...umm no did you miss the memo.

2. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to my world this year. I'm starting very slowly, it's kinda spooky. lol! I think

3. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Man I was starting to worry ,then yesterday sold $30,000 worth of work. I raised my prices slightly and am DEFINATELY seeing the effects. But in a month I'll be getting home at ten oclock and not wanting anymore work. I have had about three weeks of work I bid last year to keep me busy, hopefully we will all make gobs of money this year!

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am getting no calls for small stuff this year. I am working on a couple bid designs that would keep me busy for almost the entire year.

But ofcourse i am in my 3rd year of business and do not have the customer base that some of you guys have. SO i do not get the amount of referals some of you get. I been hitting hard with direct mail and havn't been getting much of a response.

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Looking good so far. I have a nice pool job booked for july, first 3 weeks are booked now. Have a bunch of plans to do and the phone is ringing. All in all it seems about right.

6. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

its picking up this week. finally sold my first decent sized SRW job. that starts in a couple of weeks. i am realizing that i have to do more marketing now than before. i used to get 90% of our work from word of mouth or seeing our trucks and yard signs. gotta get aggresive like in the first couple of years of business.

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

As of now, we are booked until June w/ the phone ringing pretty steadily. We have a huge full page add coming out tomorrow in out local paper (Spring Lawn and Garden section) So I should see a TON of calls from that. Our season is looking very good right now.

Chris

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We are currently booked till May, phone is going nuts. Did estimates all day yesterday, or should I say wasted my F'ing time. Alot of people know what they want, but seem to forget the price tags that come with it. Think we are actually the opposite this year... selling maintenance like it's going out of style. Unless it's a major install, small walways and walls the small guys are sucking up or should I say whoring themselves on. Just not worth my time IMO. We have been doing alot of landclearing and containers so thats good.

Hope we all have a good season, it's still early (weather wise) I think. Spring fever hasn't really kicked in yet. :)

9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

We got to commercial accounts full service so far so go. But we also can't sell a mowing service either this yearit is crazy! But we have already sold more mulching, prunning, edging and spring cleanups than ever before so I'll take it casue our profit margin on those is twice the mowing. But we still need 20 to 30 good accounts to fill out our mowing route. that is our main goal so by next year we can start a landscape crew.

10. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Our hardscape crews are booked through the end of May. Other crews are booked until about the second week of May. The workload seems a little bit lighter than last year. I am getting far more phone calls this year that start out with "we are shopping around for prices for _____". When I hear that I really wish I could just hang up because we will never be the low bidder.