How is everyone else Feeling?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jpp, May 26, 2005.

1. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

This might get moved to off topic but here goes. I am wondering how everyone else is feeling at this point in the season? I for one seem like I have no energy at all come the end of the day. I am taking vitamins and all that good stuff. Anybody have any suggestions so I don't feel like this.This is the first year I have felt like this.

JP

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

just keep workin or the bank comes and takes everything you have thats my motivation. Part of working foryourself that everyone leaves out the long hours. 85 a week right now work everyday I love it when does the snow fly?

3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Long hours isn't that the truth. Yep when the snow flies the plow goes on. :p I think I need a vacation before winter sets in though.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah the fatigue is ridiculous, I have problems at the wheel of the truck.
    Best I can recommend is get as much sleep as you can.

Some other things:
    NO gas-powered equipment runs on Sundays. Sunday is technically a day off but since I'm so busy, I do a few hours of maintenance. In order to benefit the most, I put off whatever daily maintenance I can for Sunday.
    At the end of the day, it's:
    Switch dull blades for sharp ones with an air-tool (60 seconds or so).
    Grease the zircs and refuel the WB and the 2-cyclers (a few minutes).
    Check (and refill if needed) the Round-Up sprayer.
    Lock everything up, and sayonara.

Run Amoco Premium in everything - All your equipment starts easier (less energy and time wasted, less starter rope to replace, less fouled plugs, less dirty fuel filters, etc, etc...).

Run synthetic or synthetic blend oil in your machines. If your truck doesn't leak or burn oil, run it there as well. That's what I run and I go for a week or two sometimes between oil-checks. Sometimes the stuff is real low, but with the synth, never a motor lock-up. No usually I check the oil every 2-3 days but if I forget, big deal. Also I run my WB's the entire year w/out another oil change (Change it once, in the early spring).

For endorsing checks, get a Signature stamp (I got mine at my bank).
    Or you can order from www.clarkeamerican.com (Under accessories - Business accessories - Stamps).

Also if you have Business checking, make one deposit/week (less trips to the bank). If you do not have Business checking, maybe now is a good time to get it. Saves a LOT of hassle such as when a customer makes out a check to your Co. instead of you - Also it improves respect factor a bit.
    Tips: Get small business checking. At BB & T, I have this account:
    FREE checking up to 100 transactions/month with minimum $1,000 balance.
    If balance drops below 1,000 - 10 dollar fee.
    Transaction: A deposit is a transaction, and each check ON that deposit is a transaction, and cash is another. I dunno what the fee / transaction is over 100, I've never reached it but I'm hitting 80-90 now. I always figured if I ever got over 100 transies, that I was earning so much money it wouldn't matter anyway.

If you're not quite up to par, watch some the other guys, you might learn a trick or three. As for me, I got most my crap down pat and it hardly takes any time to load/unload... Here's a tip:
    On the WB, set the parking brake and sayonara - Make sure the brake is tight and You HAVE to be a very careful driver for this to work! Slam on brakes and the WB will slam into the front of the trailer, that's 500 pounds of steel that will push your outfit several feet further than you intended. So, drive nice and easy (slow) - No hard turns and don't hit no big bumps cauz the WB will become airborne. Takes practice but I been doing that over 2 years now and never a problem anymore, it saves a lot of time vs. tying / un-tying with straps.

Learn how to pull up:
    - Trailer parked uphill is (for me) easier. I unload my WB without motor power, so when the trailer is parked downhill, it's a real *&%^ to pull it off.

Keep taking vitamins. A breakfast, lunch, and dinner is a must!
    Hire someone to do house-cleaning. Take your cars to the shop for repairs if needed, or do that on Sundays. Heck we got the money, right? Course I'm still recovering from last year, the balances are still a bit low.

It is crazy this year, to be sure.
    Last year must'a drove a lot of grassfolk out of business ...

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Accept nothing less. If your taking those one a day pills, forget it. Just remember every other day, or you'll overdo it, and build up tolerance.

Also, my hydration routine makes it easy to do as well. Two 32oz. Gatorades a day, and the rest of the day good, cool water. Also, eat a decent breakfast, a nutritious light lunch ( 2 tacos from the roadside taquerias do it for me :D ) and you'll be all good.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Some other things help:

I watch Amocos because more than a few of their stations have specials on Premium where on certain days it's several cents OFF/gallon.
    At the station I go to, it's basically the same price as mid-grade on MONDAYS. So, I bring enough fuel-cans with me that when I fill everything up, I go the entire week without re-fueling.

It helps to run the SAME grade oil in everything (10w-40 or 10w-30 is good).
    Easier to remember, and you only got to carry 1 quart (or 2) of that grade with you.

Peace

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have been doing this routine for several years and this is the first time you feel really fatigued, something may not be right. If the fatigue really affects you, consider seeing a doctor just to rule out a medical condition being the cause of your fatigue. Good luck.

8. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I had a sinus infection last year that created constant pressure around my eyes and made me feel like I was exhausted all the time. It took a while for me to notice that it was just my eyes and head that felt tired all the time; my body felt fine.

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

overwhelmed overwhelmed :) :sleeping: