How is the Echo brand compared to the others?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, May 28, 2005.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

They boast that they are commercial quality...How do they compare to Sthil and the others out there...Robin, Kawasaki, Shindaiwa, Redmax...I am talking performance, maintenance, etc...and back to Echo--do they compare like they say they do?...Thanks...

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Echo is right up there with any brand *currently* available, second to Redmax though :)

Yes, Echo is commercial quality, even the 200 series sold at box stores. The box stores are not any cheaper than OPE dealers, though, so do yourself a favor and buy from an Outdoor Power Dealer - they will take care of any service needs you may have far better than a box store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc)

3. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

Not any more. Several years ago I had nothing but Echo and it was really good. As I updated my equipement with newer stuff over the years the quality started going down. I now only have one Echo trimmer. It is a 2 year old 3400. It gives me constant problems. It is the next trimmer to get replaced. I have been replacing my Echo equipement with Redmax. My 2600 seems to have more power. I will probably replace the Echo 3400 this summer with a Redmax 3000 then good ridance to Echo.

4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Cut 2 please, your Echo is 2 years old you say? Well, that's why I emphasized *currently*.

Echo (and most manufacturers! ) went through a rough time with EPA regs during a 2 or 3 year span. But Echo has new technology and has conquered their EPA problems. Echo doesn't even have catalytic converters, except for (perhaps) some California models.

Only Redmax with their Strato Charged engines is "superior" as far as new tech and sucessfully dealing with the EPA to Echo *today*.

Some well known brands are still having trouble, and have gone to '4 mix' and 4 cycle engines.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got a 13 year old and 9 year old ECHO PB400e that just keep going they just won't quit. I run all echo, except my first tanaka trimmer (for keepsake)

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Echo's stuff is kinda hit and miss.. Around here it looks like they almost have the market cornered.. I imagine Stihl or Shindaiwa is a tie for second..

The only piece they currently sell that I'd buy is the new 261T trimmer. When you remove the guard on the old 260, it would noticeably bog..
    I believe the gearing is lower on the new " High Torque!" models and It really makes a difference. However, As far as durability goes, I don't think their ( Echo's ) stuff is too hot, especially since the emmissions deal went through..

But they are "commercial" grade, and I'm sure you can get two seasons out of their trimmers with no problem, and if any piece of hand held stuff will do that in the hands of abusive employee's, that ain't too bad.

I'm Just not a big fan of them personally..

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Echo make great equpment, but the clutches don't last in their trimmers, that's why we use Redmax, but other than that echo is great

8. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

I purchased a pb750 a couple of years ago, and had the motor blow up on me after about 6 months or so. 2 months after I brought it in for warranty, they ended up replacing it with a new one. I'm not really sure if the long delay was my dealer or echo...I'm just glad they replaced it. I have a 5 year old echo pas260 that has been worked hard that just doesn't want to quit running. All the plastic covers/guards have broke on it, but is still runs great. I also have a el cheapo echo chainsaw(cs5000?) that is 5 years old or so, that is a great piece of equipment. It has been hydro-locked before, and still runs great for what it is, and has made me alot of money.

I also had a pb46ht blower that I blew the motor on...2-3 years after I got it. The 2 other echo pieces that I have still run, but I don't have a use for them anymore.

Overall I have had decent luck with echo, and I would purchase something from them in the future.

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

All my hand held equipment is echo, I'm very happy with all of them.

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I too think they have gone downhill the past few years. I think the trimmers are fairly sad. Like was mentioned the clutches are junk. I tend to have carb problems with some regularity. I like the power of the 650 blowers but they are often hard starting and build up carbon deposits on the spark plug like crazy causing it to run like garbage. My Shindiawa products are flawless and seem to never fail and offer consistant performance. I beleive Redmax to also be a superior product. I would by Kawasaki, Husky, Tanaka, or the above mentioned units before going back to the Echo's again. They talk a good game, but I have not experienced the performance that would match that talk.