How is the performance on the single hydro on Ferris WBs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Jul 23, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

We're in a relatively flat area. How does the single hydro perform in flat conditions? Is it capable of pulling a velke/sulky?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It is very capable of pulling a sulky. It does it with ease. The problem is you can't steer it when standing on a sulky. The mower has no means to steer. You must turn it manually kinda like a pushmower.

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

weird, really?? That sounds like it would be really hard! Those machines weigh a ton!

4. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

It's nothing special. Like Richard said it can pull anything you want but it can't steer. Good machine considering the price it comes with. The controls are sort of strange, like it or leave it.

Single hydro's are only on small units like the 36", no problem turning. Perhaps some older versions had it but all the bigger units like the DD have dual hydro's. And thank God for that because they're heavy.

5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

The 36" ferris is a good mower but it will wear you out on those long and hot days. Once you get halfway good with it you just either 3 point turn or spin it around, but both methods require a little more effort than I would really like when its so hot out. Everything else about the mower is really good from the quick height adjust and I even like the controls as you control it all with your thumbs. When I bought this mower (my first commercial 3 years ago), I knew nothing about single and dual hydros and I really wish I would have. At around 3200 with tax, I know I could have found a slightly used dual hydro. On those stops where this mower has to be used on 4 or 5 backyards, you really wish it had a sulky or could be turned totally on its own.

6. George Mason

George Mason LawnSite Member

I have the 48" DD, and you can't beat it. I would spend the extra money and upgrade and I think you'll make that money back in no time. I am 230 lbs. and 6'1 and ride comfortably on the velkie, the hand-grip controls are awesome and the mower is nimble. FYI, it's zero-turn radius too, something that could be overlooked with the Z Rider hype.

Good Luck,