How is the Rear-Discharged Decks

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by par69, Jul 8, 2006.

1. par69

par69 LawnSite Member

I am thinking about buying a 60" rear-discharged deck. Do the clippings shoot out the back with force like the side discharge ones do? So when you go around a corner will the grass clippings go all over the flower beds and side walks. Also do the clips clump up or do they go into the grass like it does with a mulching kit.
    I have had a Fast Track 52" with a 20 hp Honda for 4.5 years. Having problems with it starting. It clicks a lot when I turn the key. If I put my hand down by the starter and play with the wires and starter it will start.

I mow apartment complexes. I do not bag, I blow the clipping back into the grass. I am trying to find an easier way of hiding the clippings and not shooting the clippings in the flower beds.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The RD will lay the clippings out the back of the deck, you wont have a issue with the clippings getting into flower beds and such.
    Just remember it is a RD deck, you are not going to get the same type of cut as the side discharge in taller / wet conditions.
    As for the starting problem on your FasTrak, check your wire connection for tightness and corrosion.

Pj

3. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Demo the RD and you will see what it can do for you as far as productivity, its fast !

4. par69

par69 LawnSite Member

Thanks again.

This is a great way to get answers to ?.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

No problem, let us know what you end up buying.

6. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Just my 2 cents.

My buddy has a new Super Z 60" rear discharge with 34 hours. His 52" SD Super Z had a hydro motor go bad at 50 hours.

I was NOT impressed at all with the cut quality of the rear discharge. In tall, not so tall, etc conditions the clippings clumped badly. This was Fescue that did the same in dry as well as wet conditions. Now, some of this MIGHT be blade conditions. No one knows if these blades were awesome before starting, but they now have 10-15 hours on them. Can't really blame him as his mower was supposed to back several days ago, but as of this evening, the part has not even been delivered for repair.

I thought this would be a great mower as my next mower, but I will go with the SD and put a Qwikchute on it like I did my Mini.

7. par69

par69 LawnSite Member

I am not going to buy the rear discharge because the cut is not that good. I am going to buy a Hustler mini Z or a John Deere 727A.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The cut is relative to the deck, it is a rear discharge deck, our RD deck is better then other RD's out there due to our counter rotating right side blade, its still not a side discharge.

Pj