1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How is the warmer weather affecting you?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Oct 3, 2005.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in North GA, our soil temperatures are about 6-7 degrees above normal for this time of year. This is really making my warm season program look bad, as the many of the Bermuda lawns have used up the Nitrogen.

Common wisdom is to avoid Nitrogen apps on Bermuda as Fall approaches, but this weather is making me look like a fool. It appears that some other companies have extended their applicaton schedule with more N. I think that is a mistake, as the weather will catch up sooner or later.

We are also normally seeding Fescue now, but the conditions are not ideal.

Is this strange weather causing problems elsewhere?
  2. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Struggling a bit here, too, but keeping my head above water. Had 8 consecutive days over 100 last week after an extremely hot, dry summer.

Put down the 5th round of fert for tif 419 lawns over the last couple of weeks, and decided to stay with the 50% Slow release blend of Andersons 25-5-15. SOP and it also has a good micro pkg: (5.1% S, 0.10% Cu, 1% FE, .10% Mn, .10% Zn)

Our first frost here usually isn't until the 1st of December, but I'm still a little wary of putting that high a percentage of slow release down at this late date; but like you said, the lawns are still using a lotta N now as it has not rained in 8 weeks with temps still in Mid 90's today.
  3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

here in 'cool season turf country' we are still dealing with 80* temps.
    80* IN OCTOBER

the days are getting much shorter and the evening temps are dipping into the lower 50's and even 40's. so overall turf is recoveing from the hot dry summer....but its a slow recovery compared to other seasons.
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Over the last week or two, another local company in my area applied another round of N to the Bermuda. Of course the lawns look good right now, but I view that as fairly risky behavior. We normally see a frost before October is done.

At least my properties won't be dealing with SDS next Spring.
  5. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

We have had very warm weather here in So. California, and our business is booming. The Santa Ana's just started blowing this week which I didn't need. Since I've not been able to spray, I've been doing the gopher killing thing to keep money coming in and it's been rather busy. One lady saw my taking care of the vicarage and asked me to do her yard. After I quoted her a price she said that several friends and relatives were having problems with Thomomys bottae infestations and needed cards. I've been busy all week.
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Everyday of warm weather now makes me want snow more and more :D