1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How is this price justified???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Jun 4, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I recently purchased the Bed Edger by Brown. It is a great machine. I mainly used it on my prop. to get practice before its showtime.

How do they justify the cost?? There really is nothing to the unit to justify the 2400 price tag..... What do you think?? Is it because it is a specialized machine and not many are sold??
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Then why in the world did you buy it if you feel it's over priced:dizzy: ?
  3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Ken...yes I agree...I rent that machine multiple times a month and have been thinking about buying one for a long time. But the price is just too high....but it is a real money maker, no doubt about it. Maybe they have a patent on it that curtails the competition from building a similar one...don't know.
  4. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 LawnSite Member

I was in the same boat as you as far as trying to justify the exorbanite cost of that machine.
    I rented one for years from my local rental place, and ask them this spring if they would ever sell one to make room for new ones they purchased.
    I ended up with it for about $800.00 and the unit has plenty of life and many years of work to go. I did have to replace the belts, but thats to be expected.
    You may want to try the same thing in your area. Rental places are always adding to there inventory, and will make you a good deal on an older unit to get it off the lot. Just look it over well prior to purchase.
  5. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

In a growing industry like ours, just about everything is overpriced as far as I can see. Look at a tow aerator..
    YYYIIIPPPEEE!!! Not even a motor on it..
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

All lawn equipment is overpriced. Do you think a 200 gal lesco space saver spray rig is worth 3 grand? No, but look at all the money you make with the equipment. It pays for itself in a very short time.

7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

It is all about quantities. Look at cars for instance. There are many cars that cost less than some of the mowers we buy and there a many many more engineering hours etc that go into vehicles but they can simply charge less do to the quantity of them that they produce. Machined parts and manufacturing processes get much much cheaper as the lot sizes grow.
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I wouldn't bet too much on that... I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's the other way around.
  9. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, that thing is expensive for no more than it is. I rent one locally when I need one. Half a days rental is about $40.00. It would be nice to have one but I think I will just rent for now.
  10. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

the good thing is now you can stand out from the rest, not many people use a bed edger to shape those beds, now go and try to sell more of your work to justify the cost, cause in the end it will be you the responsible for that machine to pay for itself.