How is your equipment holding up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Apr 27, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

It's been a while since I've been on here. My snapper mower redmax trimmer and echo pb have been doing good. The gator blade works great and can also give hi-vac bag performance. How is everyone's equipment holding up? Post any stories repair or trouble about your stuff.
  2. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

Everything doing OK except my Ferris 52 WB Hydro. The right drive wheel stopped. It was like I hit somthing, but I was in the middle of an open area. The thing is getting old however, I figure 7 yrs old. I bought it used from a friend. All PM's have been done regularly. I have no idea what it was. The small Exmark with the Kohler that everyone says is crap is running fine, and I have a 61inch Great Dane ZT that is great, just doesnt cut as well as that Ferris.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

ahhh the '98 30197 needs a quick tranny overhaul, gotta pull the cover and blow out the degreaser, then squirt it full of that tecumseh grease and wash it real good and replace the blade belt because it's hangi... actually the blade belt can run until it breaks, every yard I get further out of it is another yard I don't have to replace the new one.

The echo srm-260s is leaned out but I love my new fs-100rx and if that craps out, I got a brand-new fs-85 waiting, literally. Of course the fs-85 has the hedge trimmer attachment and is technically a dedicated pole trimmer but it was originally a weedeater and I still have the head and stuff.

Both hitches need the bushings replaced on the Wb's.
    Just changed the oil on the truck today, added some slick 50 as well.
    Bought some Pennzoil Platinum :)
    Everything else is doing GREAT !
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I'm behind because I lost a spindle on my Gravely 260Z deck, dealer still hasn't recieved it 3 days after he said it would be in. I'm treading water with my 50" WB for now and it sucks.
  5. rogers lawn care

rogers lawn care LawnSite Member

had to replace two spindles on my exmark hp.has 1300hrs on it thow
  6. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i know everyone has their favorite equipment, but my choice has been echo and everyday so far this season, this brand is impressing me more and more. i've got an echo srm-210 which has been used as a primary trimmer going on 3+ years now and it cranks on the 3rd pull. other than that, someone on here gave me a great idea for the echo edger (pe-200) to cut off part of the casing around the blade to make it open-faced like the heavier duty models. whoever that is, i would love to thank because i don't have to deal with the clogs anymore on thick grass. anyway, i'll stop rambling. i hope everyone is having a successful year so far.

oh yea, scott, long time no talk. how did you make out after the hurricane?
  7. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

How exactly do you know if a spindle has gone out on you?
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah echo is great, my srm-260s lasted 3+ years it just got to be such a pita to start (it runs but you have to wait several minutes for it to warm up at idle before you touch the throttle or it cuts off everytime) still it was the longest-lasting one thus far.

Echo makes such a great trimmer in fact, I am hoping Stihl's 4-cycler lasts half as long but regardless, I took the D-handle from the srm-260s and replaced the solid handle on the Stihl trimmer with the echo handle and omg the stihl is now soooo comfortable :rolleyes:
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

With the mower not running...

Remove the belt and if it's a manual engagement (no PTO switch) engage the blades so the brake is disengaged.

Now reach up under the deck and try to move the tip of the blade up and down. Don't grab it by the center of the blade because there can be some movement there but by the tip. If there is more than 1/16" to 1/8" of movement keep a close eye on the bearings. If there is more than 1/4" then the bearings are probably bad. If there is less then 1/16" the bearings should be in good shape and only require a periodic check.

You can also listen for bad bearings. If there is a howl when you engage the blades then you should check them out. It's a very distinctive sound and is usually quite loud. Don't use the howl test as a subsitute for manually checking the bearings. Sometimes the bearings will go bad and never make a sound.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

knocking on wood, everything is ok presently