How is your landscape trailer built?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Looking for a 18' 7k trailer, im amazed at how much junk is on the lots.

Most of these things dont even have a real frame, its all angle iron bottom and top screwed to the 2x6 or 2x8 boards, wtf is with that cheap crap. They may hold 5k on em but dont load up a 5k tractor thats all front heavy, the thing would probably bow and bend going over bumps :(

I found a Superior brand trailer, has an actual I beam 4" frame down the sides, 7k gvwr , 18 footer, doesnt have the top tubes but built well so im picking that up.

I guess its because ive always looked at heavier duty trailers. My first one was a "equipment" trailer or car trailer that was about 17' on the bed and weighed 1700lbs, no wood, 10k trailer built solid, no flex and all. These $2000-3000 trailers are usually junk even if they only do hold 7k tops, i would have just assumed better of them. Whats your opinions of different brands?

One of the "cheap" ones was $2200 Mustang Industries ones from GA. Any of these would hold a couple ZTRs, but thats all you could ever put on em, making them not too usable for all other aspects of our business.

I plan to get a 20~ footer 14k Down 2 earth brand open equipment trailer in the late summer or fall season, maybe ill feel better having a heavy duty trailer again :p

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Yeah whoa theyre nice.. Probably dont ship them to dealers in NJ, but its nice to see some real ones. I would have ordered a 9-10k weight rated one if it was possible. Most places though, as soon as you change any of the cheezy options for something a little better they start charging a ton more. One place wanted $2,599 for a 7k trailer, then to go with all 10k option stuff it was $3,299? wtf, for $300 difference in axles and tires? I think its because that wimpy 7k frame cant be used with anything heavier, so the 10k unit is totally a different trailer.

My Carmate 24' enclosed trailer is built in East PA, ive seen the same exact Eagle model thats rated for 10k vs my trailer is a 12k... nothing is the same size.

Underneath, the I beams on my 12k are no longer I beams, theyre just large angle iron, or smaller in size than what mine has. The main beams underneath look like their 4" high not 6" on mine. Mine has 235/80/r16 tires/wheels with 8 lug 6k dexter axles. My tires hold 3400 something pounds each tire, way more than needed for the capacity limit of the 12k trailer.

The standard model has 215/70/15" tires/wheels with 5 lug bolt pattern.. you just never know how well something is built sometimes until you see the cheap model :)

4. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I was looking at the BIG TEX trailer 10PI- 9900gvw nice trailer- kinda pricey(I only got one price so far) $4,575:hammerhead:

5. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah damn, thats way to expensive for open landscapes, no matter how nice they are i think. For 4k or under, your already into 20ft equipment trailers with 12-14k gvwr's that are built solid as a rock.

Someone else on here posted one a couple weeks ago, in the 3-4k range, it was nice but again, not much justify s so much cost over the $2200ish models that look flimsy. The steel doesnt cost $2k more.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have a down to earth-best built i could find-well worth the extra $

7. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I have a 20' PJ utility trailer. It is 7k rated, with a 4 inch channel frame, and I beams underneath the deck every 2'. It seems like a very heavy duty 7k trailer.

PJ has a nice 5 inch channel trailer also that is well built.

check them out at www.sparkstrailers.com

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Same reason we bought one. And picked it up at the factory in Baxley, Ga..

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2006 16 ft prostar and this thing is built like a brick shiat house!!!! I think it weighs ~2,000 lbs empty. No flex at all, has a full frame and tracks behind the truck very well. Plus they are built right here in Ohio:) Very good trailer and I would recommend it. From the other junk that the other LCO's use around here, I think mine blows them out of the water. Here is a link: http://www.prostarusa.net/info29/default.html?osCsid=d18c89a7da1a670a2a5b51402c6182a7

10. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry I forgot to say it was a 20' open utility trailer- But as I said the price I got was from an overpriced dealer.