how is your year going?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by the scaper, Nov 5, 2003.

1. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

how are things going for you this year? are you making good money? has your equipment served you well? are you accomplishing your goals for the year? are you happy? etc. i'm going into my fourth year and i must say that this has been by far my best year. not enough snow down here for scooping or blowing so i'll be kicking back for the most part through jan/feb. i'm really looking forward to some well earned r&r but i find myself looking forward even more so to next year! how about you?? ~the scaper~

2. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

rite now im bored. wet leaves and grass aint growing.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

cheese, where u at in nj? my year, the best! by far, very very good. everything held up nicely, lots of mowing, one thing that wasnt good for me was mulch, and landscaping work. i think we did two small installs all year. and maybe 30 yds of mulch. now im getting bombarded with leaf work, and it is wet and rainy.

4. Cheesedawg1

from NJ

Im in Burlington County in SJ. One mistake I made is telling customers the grass may not grow too much more. This meaning I lost many and many cuts because I was being a nice guy. It really went dead in the beginning of Oct. I later realized that other lawn care companies just keep dropping the blade down every week and keep cutitng into November. IM new and still learning.

5. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Been a good year, my partner and I are now planning next seasons budget and goals.

Use those wet days to prep for next season the numbers tell ya what ya need to do.

6. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

cheesedog, tell them you have to charge a little extra when the leaves are wet. use any circumstance to your benifit

7. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Better than I could of ever imagined.

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Bought some new equip. this year: 2003 Mits. Cabover, Brown Bededger, and the PG Ride On. All made my work load a heck of alot easier.

9. Cheesedawg1

from NJ

Yah I will. But im not getting too many leaf jobs around my way. All the lawns are very small with one tree or nothing at all.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We continue to have record years every year since I've been in business. This year will be no different. I forcast by year's end we will have grown another 30% or so in total sales this year. Much of our growth this year has been in landscape installations and especially in irrigation systems. I can't believe how many irrigation jobs we've done already and it looks like we'll be doing a few more before the end of the year. Starting another one tomorrow.

I'm very pleased with the way the business is going. My biggest regret is that it takes up so much of my time. I definitely don't have as much free time as in previous years. My other regret is that I didn't really cap overtime as much as I wanted to this year. Overtime is a killer when you have multiple crews and workers. But we've been so stinkin' busy that I just haven't had the time to structure the worker's hours better.

Overall, pretty happy but more stressed.