How late can I plant arborvitae?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by dmk395, Dec 26, 2011.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Assuming I can find some, would it be possible to build a raised bed and plant 4-5 now. I have never planted in December, but have a client that inquired as to how to block her propane tanks that were just installed that were ugly. Can I plant this late?
  2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

yes, no problems at all. I wouldn't worry at all about it.
  3. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'll second that!
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The guideline is "Frozen Ground" not the calendar... Be sure to soak them in at least the first 2 days and that the water drains adequately b4 it freezes...

You may end up with more winterkill than average, depending on how your winter goes... Are you Staking?
  5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

6. Smallaxe

There is a quick and simple electric solution for deer, but it requires about $100.00 in materials...

A complete wrap in burlap will help prevent winter kill and deer damage , but it is so tacky... :)
  7. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Personally i wouldnt,not a good idea for here we already had a couple frosts and i am done for the season been since first week of dec.
  8. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

You can plant if the ground is not frozen. But you have to monitor the moisture in the bed, too much or too little can both be problems anytime.

I did a lot of planting this last week and will do some more next week. Last year at this time planting was not an option.
  9. Smallaxe

When do you have too much water in a new planting???
  10. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

It can happen, last summer I planted a weeping colorado blue spruce in a new bed with a lot of other plantings and the customer watered frequently. I cannot be absolutely certain, but it seems like the poor thing got watered to death.

Also if the plant is planted in a low space where water collects it can be too much. If you combine that with a freeze you can get a plant in a big chunk of ice.

Over watering does not happen often, but it can, especially with some varieties that do best with less moisture and you have problems with root rot. I have seen roses suffer from over watering.

Sometimes it is not just the overwatering but also poor drainage that occurs due to situations or due to hardpan having been created beneath the soil.