How late can I plant?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by HazellLawnCare, Nov 18, 2004.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

A funeral home that I have serviced is building a new home and needs some landscaping done. They have asked me to do the install but I haven't done much install work. I do mostly mowing and applicating the only installs I have done have been at my house or at my in-laws which both turned out awesome. My question is can I go ahead in put in the plants this time of year? Do I need to worry about the freeze or will everything be ok?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq LawnSite Member

if the ground is not frozen you should be able to plant. make sure the plants you get are not greenhouse stored, they will not fare well if it gets cold. If they are outdours they should be fine to put in the ground.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto...the problem this time of year is finding quality stock

4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Same as those guys said. Make sure that you plant the right according to all reccomendations. double wide and all that stuff...

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

The only concern I have this time of year is planting very small plants. After next week I wouldn't plant anything smaller than a 1 gallon, and it needs to be fairly well rooted in the potting medium.

Other than that, plant until the ground freezes if you can find the right plants! Nothing like digging holes and spreading mulch with the snow flying!!!:D

Dan

6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I agree,it may also depend upon the plant.

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Very good point. I gave up on plants up here a few weeks ago. Everyone is depleted.

Hardscapes pay better anyhow :drinkup:

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard people argue both sides to this. In my opinion, I feel that if a plant can survive the transplanting process during this time of the year, most of it's energy will then be directed towards root growth. That is something you surely want at this time of the year, not shoot growth. Stay away from dumping nitrogen on any plant that you put down. Phosphorus however will help the root development while potassium will help the "cold hardiness" of the plant.

Remember, even in the winter you have to give these plants water or else they could die.