1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How late can I spray potash

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 1stclasslawns, Oct 3, 2003.

1. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Ok in the fall I spray liquid pot ash, simizne, and a broad leaf herbicide,

My question is How late in the year can I spray and the pot ash do any good.

The reason I am asking is my wife will have surgery on the 14th of October and I cant get done with my route by then, I like to be done by the first frost generly.

Thanks Jim
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Plants will use all the potash you give them. It is a luxury nutrient. The question is when does the weather turn your plants domain. Will your soil CEC hold the potash? I do not know your weather.
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

:confused: Potash is a luxury nutrient? I don't know about warm season grass, but for cool season grass, potassium is a necessary nutrient, second only to nitrogen. Is there a difference in warm season grass?
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Potash is an necessary nutrient for warm season turf at a ratio of 4-1-2. However everything you apply after that is used by C-3 and C-4 turf. Pot ash does not show response but does cause vasular flow flowering disease and drought resistance. I believe in a 1-1 ratio of N to K. Bermuda Requires K at a 1-3 ratio.