1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How late can you install shrubs???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mower For Less, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Have a customer that wants me to rip out her old overgrown shrubs and replace them with smaller shrubs, and mulch the beds. I do not do many landscape jobs, so I am not sure if there is a cutoff point where it is too late in the year to do such an installation. Would it be better to wait until next spring, or would I be safe to tackle it this fall?

2. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

You should be fine planting now. What are you planting though?
  3. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

She was going to purchase the shrubs from Home Cheapo, so nothing exotic, although I do not know her exact intentions. Most likely it will be about 7 or 8 small species.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You can plant until the ground freezes. They still need just as much water until that time also
  5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Ya, what Mac said. We plant until we cannot plant anymore. A few seasons ago we used an auger to get through the partly frozen ground.

This season I would like to save a bunch of caliper tree "street planting" until the very end.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed,though it's not always wize to plant when it's too wet and muddy either,but I have done it.In fact my Fall planting season has just begun and I will plant from now tell Jan if no frozen ground and not too saturated soil.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

If you can make a hole, you can plant. Remember, if she buys the trees and transports them, it absolves you of all liability if they die.