how late do you answer the phone

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CLARK LAWN, Nov 25, 2007.

1. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

just wondering i have a separate line for the biz and some times i get calls anywere from 8- 10 pm sometimes later. i just got one at 920 sunday night. if its a customer i will usally answer but these are people just calling up some leave a message most dont. i dont ussally answer past 630-645 m-f and 5 on sat. i think that is fairly late enough. i have also had people that have left a message on sunday get pi$$y that i didnt return call until monday,one guy told me he expects calls to be returned within the hour. i tried to tell him that the shop is closed on sunday and no one was there to answer or call back and he pretty much told me in not so many words that i should have been there to jump when he called.

2. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

It appears that he was home on sunday enjoying his time off and you should be no different. If you promote your business as such then people will respect it as such. I changed my business name several years ago from using my personel name to a business trade name with a simple logo and for some reason people stopped calling all hours during the day, I would have dropped him quick after he said that to me. I think after 6 pm people should leave a message and expect a return call the next day. set a message on your phone and turn it on after you close out for the day and let them leave a message. Just my opinion!

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You don't want that guy as a customer.

I'll return calls up to 7PM ish on weekdays, on weekends people can leave a message on the machine. I will return a call on the weekend if it is important enough. I have told my customers that I am simply not sitting at my desk, waiting to answer the phone, so they have to leave a message.

4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I will take calls 24/7.

5. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I take them until about 7-8pm week days, 6pm on weekends. I don't mind people calling in the evening but if they call late, leave a message.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

If i am near the phone and it rings i pick it up. Some of my best customers called on the weekends that first call.

7. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

I do that to, and have picked up important accounts as a result. My cell phone sits in its charger at home and it goes where I go(have phone will travel)..If I hear it "ring" I answer the call.

8. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

as long as i have my cell handy i will take calls 24/7

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Will answer up till 10 pm.

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I actually got a call from a nut case lady at 2:42AM NO JOKE! I called her back the next day and asked what the hell her problem was, she said she doesnt really sleep too well and didnt think anything of it. I told her if she called me again I will be calling the Police. I usually answer up until 9:30ish.