1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how late do you seed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Sep 24, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

how late do you guys seed?
    were you from?
    what is the cut off point? soil temps,ect...
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I seeded last week,but thats about it for me-the frost is coming soon in the northeast and seed germination rate after frost isnt very good
  3. dhicks

dhicks Member

Sept 30 is my cut off date for seeding here in Maryland.

[Edited by dhicks on 09-25-2000 at 12:36 AM]
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I seeded some 2 weeks ago and one last week, I'm done.
  5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

dhicks/eric why are you both done?
  6. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

I was too busy to do one property last week so I'm doing it it this week. I'm pushing it as far as the usual window of opportunity goes for Southern Ontario.
  7. Alan

Alan Member

I've got 20,000 ft to seed this week. After that I'd rather not seed until well into November. There is a window where it's warm enoguht to germinate but too cold for turf to establish before freeze-up. Once soil temps go down to keep the seed dormant I'll put it down and feel comfortable that it will sit there until spring and start just fine. I'm in NW Vermont, average first frost date here is September 17, we're running on borrowed time now, no frost yet here in the Champlain valley
  8. powerreel

powerreel Banned

my impression has been that fall over seeding is far more efficent than the spring, also i have heard that seeding too late in the year can cause the seed to rot and this process will degrade your co2 content in your grass "forest"
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in the midsouth and we are just now getting into the seeding time of year. :)

10. dhicks

dhicks Member

Anthony: At least where I live the rains will be coming and the frost typically hits my area prior to Holloween. I like to make sure the seeds have a good germination period. Other than that, I'm ready for winter!