1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How late in the season do you go?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Skyview1, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Skyview1

Skyview1 LawnSite Member

Hi. My name is Mike and I own/operate a company in Upstate NY. I have been a long time viewer, first time poster. My company is heavy into maintenance, design and installs. For just over a year now we have been getting into the hardscaping end of things and it has been going well.

My question is how long do you guys go into the winter months. We are about 3 weeks out right now and I have this client that wants a patio/seating wall and steps constructed. It will take roughly 3 weeks and that will put me about mid to end of November. Here in NY it will be getting cold and and the weather is extemely variable.

The job will be a good buck for us going into the winter months but the aggrivation with the weather and elements may hinder our performance. Would you guys take this job or wait until the spring?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd wait until the Spring on that one.
  3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I would take it. If we have a year like last, you could be working untill Jan. As soon as the stone/sand start to freeze we call it....unless we have made special provisions for keeping everything thawed.

4. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey.. what are of upstate.. im from the syracuse area... weather sure is iffy this time of the year esp if your near a lake.. anwyways i get nervous this time of the year to becuase at any day it can go form good to bad real fast.. what company do you own if its near syracuse?? best of luck to you.
  5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Keep going, make the customer aware of potential delays that may come about due to the weather.

Masonry.....get thermal blankets and you're set. You won't be as productive in the cold but its $. Install the job, throw down some sod and go into winter able to pay whatever guys you keep through the winter with that job.

We don't get the snow here that you get there but I have been out doing masonry all winter both with my company and those I once worked for. Just requires a different approach.
  6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Take the job. Just keep on pushing hard.
  7. Skyview1

Skyview1 LawnSite Member

Thermal blankets is a new thing to me, does anyone have links as to where I can purchase these?

I am not near Syracuse either, in the Albany region.

Thanks for the help.
  8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Are you responsible for that egg shaped building? Odd looking thing.

Ask your supplier where you get stone/mortar etc.......they should be able to get them, probably have them.
  9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Typically we run til last day of November, some years a bit earlier due to frost or snowy conditions.
  10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get it started and advise the customer mother nature may stop you for awile though. have your contact worded very good with this clause for draws so your not sitting all winter with your $ in material or wages. This damn weather is so screwed up lately i would take the gamble.