How late in the year does everybody do ornamental installs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by matthew horner, Oct 28, 2005.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious as to late installs in the past and their success. I've always used Thanksgiving as a benchmark/cuttoff date but I wonder now if I can push that out a little and get some more work in?
  2. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

need a bump on this, has this site gone into early hibernation?
  3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan to do woody ornamentals and trees up until the ground freezes. Arbor day foundation ships trees to our zone just about the time the ground is ready to freeze. I ordered some bare root trees a few years back and was planting them near mid Dec. They did just fine, check with your local nursery, ours are still getting shipments of woody ornamentals and shrubs in.
  4. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

Our ground is frozen for a week or two during a cold winter.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

year round. It never drops below 45° nor ever raises higher than 85° here.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My biggest factor is what I'm planting. I've planted encore azaleas in January.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I won't plant when the soil is saturated with water because if you work soil when it is really wet it destroys soil structure.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

As long as you can get a shovel in the ground you can plant. Take caution with transport shock as now you're fighting freezing winds instead of desicating ones.
  9. jimmyq

jimmyq LawnSite Member

when the ground isnt frozen its fair game around here. that means about 48 weeks a year.
  10. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member