1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How late in the year for installs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GreenMonster, Sep 8, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Particulary, plantings.

How late in the season do you feel comfortable installing shrubs and perennials? I am still getting requests for plant installs, but I'm concerned it may be a little late in the season for plants to establish before winter, especially perennials. It would seem that plantings going in the ground now would have a distinct disadvantage over ones that went in during the spring and have already had 4 months or so out of their pot, developing their root system in the ground.

BTW, I'm in zone 5.
  2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

You can install right about up to november id say.

3. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

It depends on what you're installing. Some plants shouldn't be dug this late. I can't remember which exactly. Ask your nursery for more details. But, I've seen installs in the middle winter. Probably not the best time to plant, but if you have a big job and you have to replace a few extra plants, atleast you're still working.
  4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless the shrubs are listed as fall digging hazards (field grown leyland cypress comes to mind), you can plant as long as the ground is not frozen. You may want to make sure new plantings are properly mulched. We've done installs as late as mid-December here in zone 6-7 south Jersey w/ no significant losses.
    NC Scaper likes this.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You can right up till the ground freezes, but we usually stop around thanksgiving. They still need watered in till the ground freezes and thats the hardest part getting someone to water at that time of yr.

6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Planting depends upon the plant.
    I put perenials and trees in up until Jan.then start again in late March

Trees depend upon the variety and zone

example: Crape Myrtle I do not plant after the second week of Sept.
    they just have a hard time after that in this zone.
  7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Good rule of thumb for hearty perennials is you can plant as long as the the ground is not frozen this includes trees and shrubs. September is a great time to plant. When I was an assistant at the course we planted trees all winter out of 100 we would have problems with 2 or 3.
  8. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Around here trees are not dug again until late October

Selections are slim
  9. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the deal in the far North (Zone 3) about planting perennials: if they're potted and not pot-bound, you can plant 'em into November; if they're newly-dug, cut 'em to the ground (the tops) and try to plant 'em by mid-October. If they're potted AND pot-bound follow info for mid-October and be sure to open up the root mass for better soil contact. You don't want them to try and support old or new leaves, you want them to make roots and establish before the ground freezes solid.
  10. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

container grown trees/shrubs/perenials can be planted all year round depending on weather conditions ..frost,heavey rain ,wind, drought ,extreme heat do not make for good planting conditions..bare root trees are always [usualy ] harvested when they are dormant [less chance of stress] so the time for planting bare root would be fall and winter.