1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how late is to late for sod??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KIDWITHADREAM, Oct 1, 2005.

KIDWITHADREAM LawnSite Member

Gotta call yesterday for a sod job around 1200 sq ft. Its getting cool up here in michigan, i dont think i could lay it for another 2-3 weeks. How late is to late in the season to lay it? Should i suggest doing it in the spring?? :help:
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Latest I have seen successful down here with st.augustine is early november, of course it is still ~76 degrees around then :waving:
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I've sodded Bermuda 419 several times in January with great results. It is dormant, but usually can get it $30 cheaper in the winter months.
  4. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

Sod/turf can be laid anytime of year ,though you should never lay sod during A drought/dry period [unless you have irrigation] or during times of hard frost.Though ideal times for sod laying would be fall and spring.
  5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Here in Murlin (thats how some pronounce Maryland) where we have winters, Sod can be installed (green side up) anytime. As long as it aint too muddy for you to work or as long as the ground ain't frozen.
  6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

When you can no longer get it.