How late will you spray for weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lqmustang, Oct 6, 2005.

1. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Or better yet, at what point as the temperatures drop do you find control drops off and is not as effective due to less active growing cycle? I'd like to gear this more toward broadleaf weed control in cool season (bluegrass, fine fescue) turf types. Thanks in advance.

2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I will be spraying at least the first week of November. As long as the ground is not frozen and day time temps reach 40, I find broadleaf weed control to be good.

3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Frost certainly takes it's own toll on annual weeds,so you have to ask at a certain point why you would waste a chemical app on what mother nature is going to do for you anyway. I generally will stop herbicide apps when daytime temps drop into the 50s and overnights below freezing, to stay and move toward winterizing fert apps, on cool season grasses expected to take a snow load at some point.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The customer is paying for the service right how are you wasting a chemical app.

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

It may be irrisposible to apply if it's not needed .
    Luckily , in Arizona , we have weed all year round .
    Lots of rocket and filaree in winter here

6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

You are not only wasting a chem app in that situation, you are doing your customer a disservice by not advising them that will be the chain of events. I never apply just to get an app in. You do what's right for the plants in your care.

7. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I agree to a point but I need that revenue to live.
    If it isn't in violation of the label, I'll do it.

8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

me, i'll spray till around 2:00pm

then I'll want to beat the traffic back to the shop
    :D

9. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Frost doesn't kill dandelions, clover, and other perenial broadleaf weeds. Applying a herbicide in late fall provides for a weed free lawn in spring.

10. kcchiefs58

kcchiefs58 LawnSite Member

Frost may not kill them, but will the weeds take in the chemical? I don't think so and then most herbicides are for 50 plus degrees according to the labels, but speed zone i believe says 40 on it. If it freezes I think it is a waste of money but it is your buck.