How lond do you expect your equipment to last?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Midstate Lawncare, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If you bought all new hand equipment (trimmer, blower, edger, chainsaw hedge trimmer) how long would you expect it to last.

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i have a trimmer taht is 13 years old, a back pack that is 8 years old. i have no intentions of replacing them until they are dead. my rider mowers get replaced about every 2000-2500 hours to keep them reliable. that is about every 4 years on each.

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Handheld tools - until there about dead.

WB mowers - 3-4 years.

Z's every 1500 - 2000 hours they are sold if not sooner.

Trucks - usually run till 125 - 150K range

Trailers - forever, unless we need a bigger better one.

Larger equipment - skids - 2000 hour range, utility tractors - 2000 hour range

Oldest piece of equipment is a our log splitter - excellent shape really - put three new engines on it ( finally a honda) and the engines came off of a spray rig that we parted out and off an old paint striper, but after 20+ years of service, same pump, all same hoses, and that machine gets used probably 20-30 hours a week during the winter months.

4. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Forever:rolleyes:
    I didn't think my Craftsman weedeater that I bought in 1988 would last a full year but it's outlasted all my tools, and the only thing I have done to it is add gas and string. About 5 years ago I found the manual and it told me to grease up the cable....never did.

5. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

my toro proline 44" inch deck was new in 1986

really the deck and frame are solid as the day they were new(built solid)

i have a spare tranny and motor, belts and pulleys... my guess would be it will be ready for replacement about the time i'm ready for my jetpack fitting

Nate

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My hand held equipment lasts a really long time. Up to and over a decade in some cases. It really depends on which piece of equipment we're talking about. I usually keep everything in service until it gets too expensive to keep replacing parts. On my edger (circa 2000) I've rebuilt the carb twice and replaced it once. I've also replaced that rubber debris flap on it once already. It currently needs an off/on switch. I have an old Shindy trimmer that I've replaced the clutch on twice and put bunches of new trimmer heads on.

With my walkbehinds I usually run them up to about 1,000 hours and get rid of them.

I've only replaced one Dixie at 1,300/1,400 hours and that was only because an incredible deal came my way on another one. $4,500 with only 29 hours.

7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Dang! My truck has 280K miles on it, but then again....its a Chevy :)

8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Your equipment will last based on maintenance:drinkup:

9. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

How many engines and/or transmissions? BE HONEST........:usflag:

10. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everyone! I am looking at the echo pas 260 w/ trimmer, saw, articulating hedge trimmer, and edger. that being said, is it a P.O.S.? lol or is it somthing tat will last at least 4 years?