1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how long a wait before 1st mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Apr 28, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

did a full reseed job on April 11. went by today and its looking really good. my question is, how long should i wait before the 1st cut? here is what the lawn looked like before. after pictures soon to follow.

2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

When you say a full reseed job...is that just over seeding or did you clear the old grass out??...In any event how did you do the seeding??
  3. lawnwizards

tilled up all the old grass, raked the dirt smooth, applied starter fert and seed, then put straw on top...
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Wait to the point the existing grass is overshadowing the new seed growth and not allowing sunlight or rain to hit it. Second, you want to wait until there is no chance the lift off the mower blade foil is not going to pull on the new root system and dislodge the new blade.
  5. lawnwizards

rod, does that count for total reseed too? thanks.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Not sure if you mow it or they do, but I would recommend using a 21" mower if possible. If they are watering like they should, it's going to be soft. I would probably wait a month before mowing.
  7. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

This is why a slit seeder is an invaluable tool.
    The seed is pushed down approximately 1" into the soil which improves seed to soil contact and also allows the new lawn to be mowed sooner than if you just throw seed down.

My method for seeding in the spring which is not recommended is
    1) Aerate + good Starter Fertilizer
    2) Slice Seed in a criss cross pattern.

If you are doing a complete renovation I would remove existing turf or weeds, and then either bring in topsoil, seed and penn-mulch or hydroseed.

In any case like Rod and Matt said you should wait at least until the new seed has germinated and developed a root structure that is deep enough that you will not pull the new seedlings up. I would also agree with using a 21" mower but sometimes this is not feasible. In that case I would change the blades on a walk-behind to either a low lift or a gator blade because the sail is not that high and there is not much vacuum under the deck to disturb the new grass.

8. lawnwizards

its only around 800sq. ft. so a 21" shouldn't take more then 5 minutes tops.. thanks for the input guys.

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

let it grow as tall as the customer can stand before cutting!
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

yes...and Randy an area that small in size I would consider using a trimmer to just take off the top inch or so until you start using a mower