1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long after renovation...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by CT John, Oct 9, 2003.

1. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

...should I wait to apply a second application of fertilizer. I applied starter fertilizer at the time I seeded. That was 4 weeks ago. KBG is coming in well. I have read that you should apply a second app between 4 and 6 weeks afterwards. First frost was this past Monday. Or should I just wait a few more weeks and put down a winterizer type app.
  2. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

3. Relly

Relly LawnSite Member

4 - 6 weeks is a good rule of thumb. What was the analysis of the starter fert along with the percentage of slow release? I think most recommendations for new KBG will lean towards about 4 pounds of Phosphorus (per 1000 sq ft) in first year of establishment.

I have the same situation (KBG / rye mix), and will be doing the 2nd starter (Lesco's 18-24-12 50%ppscu) this weekend (4 and a half weeks after first app). It is coming in good, but slows with the colder temps. I believe in hitting newly seeded areas 'hard' by getting the apps of starter down at 4-5 weeks, without fail. I would have preferred to get the seed down about 2-3 weeks prior, which would have aloud me to have 3 apps of starter before winter...but I failed to get it done.

As far as the starter versus 'winterizer'...what do you want form a winterizer? N....K??? Personally, I like the balance of 1:1 N:K ratio for established turf, which my starter is close to. So, when my starter fert is applied at rate(1# P), I also get 3/4#N...which is adequate for those areas that consist of established turf.

Hope that helps...it works well for me.