How long and how much for 2 acres????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ofishil, Sep 15, 2004.

1. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

How long and how much would you guys charge for 2 acres that is pretty overgrown? Reason I am asking is that i just got my first walkbehind mower and am only used to bidding on small residential. This will be my first big lot to mow. I have a Scag 48" walkbehind. The lot doesnt have to be real perfect. Just mowing and maybe 30 minutes of trimming. I cant really say how long it will take me since I havent done one this big. The lady did mention she had other properties if this works out for me. My usual rate is 25 dollars for really small yards and 30 for small corner yards. So i guess my usual rate is around 1 a minute or so. Most of the time a tractor comes by and cuts it. She is planning on selling the lot so this may be a one time cut. Thanks...

2. printer88

printer88 LawnSite Member

I'd charge atleast 250.00. Especially if it is overgrown.Maybe even more with that much trimming.Since it is overgrown you may have to go over it twice.Hope it works out for you.God Bless.

3. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I have a 2 acre yard with lots of obstacles to mow around. With my Scag SW48 it took me anywhere from 1 hour 40 minutes to 2 hours to mow it. If the lot is wide open you should be able to cut it faster. Of course being really overgrown you may have to mow slower or raise your cut up real high.

4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I don't do one time cuts. Especially if its someone elses unmaintained mess to clean up. Most often I just decline to quote on it . If pushed i quote about twice what it looks like it should be worth.

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

barnard has the right idea. The people need to pay something along the lines of what they would have paid if they had been maintaining it all along.

6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

there is no way somebody can help you bid this if you dont know how long it will take you to do! guees on the time and multiply it out,,,,,the next time you will know how to bid it!

7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on how overgrown it is, my min price is $60 an acre plus $30 for 1/2 hour trimming, total $150.

This is on a Toro Z588E, 60'' turbo force deck.

If it is over a ft high and thick and slow, adjust fee accordingly if need be.

I would allow 1.5 hours for this job...always allow a bit more on one off first time jobs though.

best to state exactly how overgrown even pics to get more responses here....

8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

If its really overgrown, you may do more damage to your walkbehind mower(burned belts, bent blades from rocks & stumps). Sounds to me like a bush hog job. $300 minimum. If I did it with a 48" walkbehind 20hp $600, 14 hp $1,000. I actually bushog a 2 acre field 3 times a year($ 300 ea time) and mow a 2 acre lawn weekly ( $ 600 per month year round ($7200.00 yr+seed,fertilizer, etc. 40 mowings)

9. kingenterprises

kingenterprises LawnSite Member

I do brush hogging and other tractor work. For 2 acres clean, with no obstacles, calf high or shorter, I'd finish mow it. If it was taller than calf high, I'd bush hog it. Would charge b/t 125.00 - 150.00 for the job. It should take about 1 hour with a 6 ft bush hog or finish mower.

This said b/c you could be competing with a tractor man for this job.

I always walk the job first before diving off into it. Also if the grass is taller than Calf High, I'll ride the bucket of my tractor low out front to find any hidden obstacles. You can do 125.00 damage to a machine in 1.25 seconds.

GETERDONE!

King Enterprises

10. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

It all depends on what overgrown is. I would say between 250-300.