how long are my blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeymike, Jul 9, 2003.

1. mikeymike

mikeymike LawnSite Member

I have a snapper 36" WB and need to know how long my blades should be? One dealer said 16.5 inches and another dealer said 18 inches. Can someone please help????? Also, what is the best way to remove them yourself?

2. Depends on the overlap of your spindels.

Should be 18" blades on most 36". 36>2=18

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Measure the blade diagonally - corner to corner. This is your blade length. A blade 16.5" is too short. 16.5 + 16.5 + 33", with no over lap.

4. mikeymike

oooohhhhh ok so the other guy was correct. The blades should be 18 inches then.....Could explain why my machine is leaving a trail of grass behind it and making me double cut everything....

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

your blades are most likley longer than 18" because an 18" blade will give you no overlap and you will get a bad cut. all blade sizes are longer than half the size of your deck so you will have a bit of overlap.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I looked up Snapper mowers in a few catalogs that I have. The 36" mowers take an 18" blade. So with overlap, your cut is probably somewhere around 35.5".

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I would have just measured the old blades.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

MOST 36"ers are 18" and share that length with the 52"ers.

Most 32"ers are 16.5 (or 16.25) and share that length with the 48"ers.

All of my aftermarket catalogs state that Snapper 36" uses a 18" long blade with a 5/8" center hole.

9. Yup

My 36" does not cut 36" wide. It does cut 35.5" wide like it stated in the Lesco specs in '95.

10. mikeymike

I just need to know what type of 18 inch blade you guys use? I want mulching blades of course......Does anyone order online? If so, what site?