How Long Before Turning Loose?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by American_Lawn, Aug 23, 2007.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

How long was it before you guys let your helper do the route on his own? I am at my max right now at 90 per week, and I am looking to giving my helper these 90(mow only) cuts, so I can go get some upscale clients, and help him when needed. So how long until you guys turned him loose? He has been with me for half this yr and I was thinking about 1 month into next season. Any advice?

2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no set time. Its about trust and your gut feeling.
    lols....:laugh:

3. Captain Pooby

Captain Pooby LawnSite Member

I'm gonna go with CaptKen on this one.

When I first started I barely knew my way around the area we worked in.

Now I can be giving a list with 20 homes and I only need to be directed to the new homes.

It's gut feeling, not any set amount of time.

Be sure to always put someone who knows where to go/what to do with someone who is still learning. I learned that way and later I taught another guy pretty much everything I knew.

4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

When you can stop calling him your helper!

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Give him a different title, a little more money, and keep in mind nobody will work as hard as you.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A month minimum

7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Never! I am scared. Tried it once. Guy put a walk behind thru the side of a garage. As it is going broke fixxing stuff that employees brake. Had one that would be ok but didn't have a drivers liscense. Got drivers liscense just before doctor told him at 53, two heart attacts, bad back and knees that his landscaping days were behind him.

8. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you can turn your employee losse by himself with 90 account maybe 60 but 90 is way to much to expect your employee to be able to do by himself.

You should probably give him 30 or so then hire another employee to take his spot on your crew then after a month or two depending on how quick they pick it up. Send the other guy to his crew and give them 30-40 more keep 20-30 for you to do by yourself and add to your route.

Good luck

9. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I advertised "experience needed"....asked if they lived in the area....first day, went out w/ them....then went home and waited. Once you get over the "worst case scenario" ideas that run through your head...then you can sit home on Saturdays and do nothing. Wait...it's Saturday...and I'm doing nothing while my guy cuts 8 lawns. :laugh:

Peace,
    Gary

10. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

if your maxed out.. nows the time.. i would give him 30 accounts first and work with him on the other 60 ... then after a month 10 more, and so on until he is doing them all and has a helper of his own. .. at each increment give him a raise. slowly ease him into the responsibility/pay raise to see how he performs .. have a good talk with him about how things will go and if he is responsible and a hard worker this will turn out really good for him.

i wouldnt simply hand over 90 accounts and put your future in his hands without seeing how he does with less.