How Long Before You Get Tired??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, May 11, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm new to the BIZ. First commercial year and LOVE IT! My every waking moment is thinking of my new purchases, or the new equipment i will buy later this year, or next. How I can make the Biz better, cleaning trucks/trailers/mowers. Organizing the office/shop.

I feel it will be a while for me. I LOVE THIS BIZ!

2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Well, considering you're 18 and been in this business for 6 tell me, or did I read your bio wrong?
  3. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

As the season wheres on, It can get a little old from time to time. The mowing can get monotonous. Your always drained at the end of the day. Then in my case I have to go off and water my commercial flowers. It can old when its raining out, and you have to work in it. Or if its way to hot to work, but you have too. Or you have no energy, but no one else is going to do it for you. It has to get done.

But on the plus side, every thing I buy is a toy to me. I love a nice looking lawn. I love it more if I'm the one who made it that way. I love a beautiful flower bed. I love it when I get complements on the flowers. Or how I stripe a lawn.

When I here everyone complain about there job, I feel much better about mine.

The best part about all this for me. Its my own business, and I'm making a living from something I started......from nothing. Its supporting me and all my bills. Its growing all the time. Thats a very good feeling. Its been over 6 years for me, and im not sick of it. As long the busness keeps growing and changing. I dont think I ever will get sick of it.
  4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I guess the day I will dred mowing a lawn is the day I recieve my Juris Doctorate and I haven't been offered a job using it or I haven't opened up my own office using it. But I guess that is still about 7 years away. Until then, I am doing just dandy.
  5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

No sir, you read that correct. Before last season was about 5 jobs with a 21" push mower. Last season was a 42" Craftsman. This season...Well it is in the signature line. I do tend to get bored during the summer, but then think about the 29 foot fishing boat i am buying the day i graduate from college (4 years). I want to go places that no person in my family has gone before. THAT is my drive. I deal with it, and strap the boots on each week.

I think i am drawn to the "task" of building my own business./ I enjoy that the most. It is like a computer game or game of monopoly except in real life.

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

Iam in my 11 year fulltime and this is first year iam not having fun .... iam solo so maybe iam overloaded with clients . Some days i hate getting up and going to mow .. i just keep telling myself the money is great and better than working for the man again
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

For those of us that didnt finish college, but still think we know it all, what is a Juris Doctorate?
  8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I Juris Doctorate is official name for a degree in law. All lawyers who graduate law school and get a doctorate degree technically can add J.D. to the end of thier names just like a medical doctor adds M.D. to his name... but nobody does. I guess I could have just said"when I get my law degree."

PALANDSLAVER LawnSite Member

The most important thing is time. Make sure that however big you may get, that you leave enough time to wash and service equipment. I have been in this for 10 yrs. If you swamp yourself looking for every last dollar, than you will really start having a lot of bad days every time a machine breaks down.

Enjoy Your Work! Enjoy Your Tan! Don't Overburden yourself!!!
  10. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

Look at it in a positive way. Everyday is a new day, new day to make money. Write down your ideas and follow them through, some will work, some won't. Learning is also a key part of this business. You will have to push yourself in order to succeed. nothing will come easy.

It could be worse.. you could be working for someone else sitting in an office all day:(