1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how long did it take you to net $50, $75, $100,000? How did you do it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jau250, Apr 4, 2012.

1. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

First year we did strictly fert programs subbed for other landscapers and irrigation & lighting installs for contractors on new construction homes. As well as lawn installs and plantings. The second season we started offering our services directly to homeowners (this is when I began advertising heavily), we also began offering hardscape and more soft scape installs. The third season we began pushing more on our advertising.

Now we offer fert programs, full irrigation and lighting design/install/service, full landscape design and construction, holiday decor, and plowing. Fall cleanups if we are slow and I'm looking to keep the guys busy. Up to now we offered basically everything except mowing. We are adding a full mowing crew next season as demand from our existing customers justify it.

Like i said in my post yeasterday though, those first two years I spent alot more on advertising than most sole operators on here net. Now to continue the growth, we spent more on advertising this past year than most here will gross.
  2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the insight, I'd like to branch out into fert/irrigation in the few years. Many companies seem to be successful around here in those areas.
  3. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

I like this a lot^
  4. chuacro

chuacro LawnSite Senior Member

I hope I get the gross and net right. I will gross about 39000 and net about 20000. For this old solo man that is what I need.
  5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Funnier still is the item actually sold the same day I posted the link, and I could have sworn it had not sold when I linked to it but I can't say for sure, still funny thou.

I find those figures near a believable and realistic ceiling.
  6. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

The other gray area is what you consider NET. Some owners figure NET before owners salary - which is fine if the owner doesn't do any work. If you look at the whole picture in a true business model perspective, you need to at least figure out the cost of replacing yourself with an employee and subtract that out. What you are left with is true profit. Some guys could "net" 50K but work in the field 70 hrs a week, and others could "net" 50K and hardly lift a finger because of their employees. I'm just saying don't get too caught up on what other people are making - numbers aren't all equal. Do what you enjoy and make your dreams come true - whatever they may be.

7. jau250

jau250 LawnSite Member

"Quote"=jau250;4371680]I am a college student at Virginia tech and have had a small landscaping business for two years now. I am doing an internship this summer through a big company and may even work for them after i graduate. Or i may go back to my business. I have had the opportunity to grow my company but haven't because of being in school and stuff.
    I Know this will very but i am wondering.
    How long did it take you to grow your company?
    A brief description on what you have done and how long did it take to net 50. 75, and $100,000.
    How much money would it be worth it to you to make coming out of college rather than have taking the chance and investing in starting a business?
    Any other advise for me?[/QUOTE]

I'm sitting here searching how to do $1,000,000 in sales a year. I came across this thread and realized I wrote it 3 1/2 years ago. So here's what's happened.

I ended up doing the internship and returning to school in the fall. Talking gross numbers we went over 100,000 in 2013. In 2014, we did right at $150,000 . I finally graduated and was able to work full time in the business this year 2015. We are on track to do over 600,000 with a net or 15%. I think it will take another 3-5 years to be able to pull a salary of $100,000.

Advice I learned.
    -Work your ass off, like 60h-90h weeks
    -Read the process that successful entrepreneurs took and try to follow them as best as possible.
    -Dont focus on one service. Advertise and do anything you can to make money so you can fund the business in the right spots. Find out what you are good at and start narrowing services down. We now sell 4 key services instead of 8.
    -Find and keep good employees! Find people that are good at things you aren't and let them run!
    -Find out how your customers really feel about you and treat them right.
    -Alway try new things and change up your system constantly to find the most efficient way. There is always a better way.
    -Take risk and stick with it!
  8. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Great advice - thank you!! Glad you are doing well - keep us updated as the years go along.
  9. McFarland_Lawn_Care

How many employees if you don't mind me asking? That's our biggest hurdle that is holding back growth - finding more GOOD employees.
  10. jau250

jau250 LawnSite Member

We have 8 employees. Its tough to find good ones that want to help the company grow.