1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long did it take you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, May 21, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Just wondering how long it took other LCO's to get their mowing schedules to capacity?

I've been in the business for almost 17 full months now and my schedule is only about half full. I'm certain the business model works with a full schedule, but that's a lot easier said than done.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in a little different situation, as I am now part time. My long term goal however is to be full capacity within 5 years, with this being my second year. So far I am on schedule to reach that.
    My goal is approximately 75 yards, all depending on $ per yard, but that's about where I want to be, solo operation.
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

First 2 years we were part time and spent most of our advertising on getting our name out. We also weren't dependent on this for income, so we could take our time. Our 3rd year we went full time and had no problem finding enough customers to fill our work week. And I've been there ever since. I think having the first 2 years to advertise and get our name out, without the pressure of being full time, worked out well and prepared us to get to that next level. If we had started out jumping into it feet first fulltime, I would have been broke and out of business in the first year. Of course, I pretty much had no idea what I was doing those first few years too.

4. JDavisTexas

JDavisTexas LawnSite Member
    from DFW

What's the best way to get your name out there?
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

4 years now and only about 40% full.

I'm very picky as to what accounts I will take though. I've had it with the idiots, the poorly landscape design yards, yards without irrigation, cheap customers..........

I'm trying to make it so I have a waiting list for new customers, without really needing to have a waiting list.

I used to have a full time night job and did lawn maintenance on the side, but I got laid off my night job and have been doing this gig only since then. It pay's the bills and I'm more interested in quality customers than quantity of customers.

I charge a premium for my services too, so there is no real line of scrubby customers beating down my door.
  6. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

MY question to you is, what is capacity? A business should always plan to grow. Because your business is either growing or dieing. Just like everything in life.
  7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

My capacity is 48 accounts.

I work alone, but full time. Just over a year

I have 28 accounts, 19 weekly the rest are either part time or every ten days.

I came up with 48 because I can comfortably do 8 lawns a day, five days a week. The other 8 will no doubt be part time lawns.

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

I do this as a part time job. But I'm plan on going into full next yr.
    Now I have 25 accounts. Usually work solo on week day but got a helper on sat. My goal is 40 this year as a part time. Trying to save some for winter & equipments.
  9. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

As i am reading these posts it amazes me.... How can you be full time on 40 accounts? Some guys need to get bigger equipment. I have 39 accounts as of today. That is three days a week solo...Two days with a two man crew. My average yard is $25 dollars, so u all may be speaking of the $50 yards.
  10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I only have 20 regular accounts but they provide right at 30 hours of work per week. This is for regular servce. I use the rest of the time to do small landscaping and other work like hedge trimming, mulch, weeds, and stuff like that. The number of accounts doesn't matter in the least. You could have a total of two accounts that take 20 man hours each per week, or you could have 80 accounts that each take only 30 minutes. It isn't the quantity of accounts, it is the amount of work at each account that matters.