How long did it take?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cuttin-up, Jul 14, 2007.

1. cuttin-up

cuttin-up LawnSite Member

How long did it take for you to gain enough clients to keep you busy 3-4 days a week?
  2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

my first season. all word of mouth. zero advertising. im now in my second season i mow 3 days a week and one day a week i do other work, shrubs cleanups, trimming, etc.
  3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

It took me a couple of months.
  4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a few months ,things really took off for us. Every season we get about 25-30 knew Clients
  5. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

TNT how are you doing this? Word of mouth or by advertising? And do you think that i could get more accounts in mid-July?
  6. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

I started in May and from then till now only had 5-6 weekly clients plus clean-ups for rentals, handyman stuff, etc. In the last two weeks I only talked to two cheapos and one crazy. I have an ad in the local weekly and have passed out cards and talked to who knows how many people. On Wednesday I finally decided to actually implement the marketing plan I came up with in April and spent $730 on 5K professionally designed door hangers (yes, I know you can get them cheaper elsewhere, we'll see if they're worth it). I haven't seen a proof of the door hangers yet.

In the last 24 hours I got 3 new weekly clients, 2 bi-weekly, my first signed commercial contract and turned the first lawn I ever turned down into a $455 clean-up.

The short answer to your question is I don't know how, why or how long but hang in there. As Bohiaa says "talk to everyone about grass, they either have some or know someone who does".

In the meantime I should either do the happy dance
    :dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping: :dancing: :clapping::dancing:

Or figure out how I'm going to waste so much time on lawnsite next week:cry: :dizzy: :cool2:
  7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

We just placed another add that will run for 6 weeks,most is from addvertising. We advertise 5 weeks before mowing season starts. This is our 4th year and the word of mouth is finally coming on strong. You can still pick-up clients,the fly by nighters always Quit when the heat and the humidity starts to go up.
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

At the current rate I'm at, next spring. Which will be the start of my 3rd year. Right now I have enough to keep me busy 2 full days plus about another 2/3 of a day. This is weekly accounts only, not including one-time things like mulch installs or clean-ups/weeding.

However, my advertising has been pathetic the last 2 years and it's getting ramped up currently and all the way through and into next spring. I'll have enough to keep me busy 6 days a week or I'll sink trying:)