how long did you wait for your first customer.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bennett scape, May 26, 2008.

1. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

hi all just a general question how long after your launch did you wait for the first customer. So far for me i am still waiting after a week. thanks :):):)

2. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

You got a SCAG and you don't have any customers???? Are you kidding????

On the bright side, once u get ur first one, they come rolling in. I had neighbors and friends lined up weeks before I started and I advertised heavily. Don't make the mistake of taking anything and everything. Choose to be picky, they will come and they will come quickly. Unless ofcourse you live in small town of landscapers.

3. Safari Lawn

Safari Lawn LawnSite Member

That's a pretty nice set-up for having no customers!!

I actually got my first 2 or 3 customers before I ever bought any real equipment. So I guess my answer is...I didn't have to wait. I live in a nice subdivision and there are 2 more on the same highway that mine is on. All in all, the three subdivisions have around 800 homes. So far I have spent $20 on flyers in my neighborhood and $60 on advertising in my subdivision bi-monthly newsletter. Currently I have 14 residential and 1 commercial client. I still work a 40hr a week job and do this on the side. It is DEFINITELY keeping me busy. I will say that the money spent on the subdivision newsletter was money well spent. I get phone calls and e-mails all the time for quotes. Once I get someone working with me regularly, I will begin to advertise in the other 2 subdivisions. I like everything close together. Since buying my truck last year, I have only put about 1200 miles on it because most days when I cut, I drive less than a mile!! :)

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't wait. I started knocking on doors and had a whole street one day. A very short street.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree, don't just take any account that is thrown at you. I have one account now that I wish I didn't take on this year. I really didn't see what it was really like until the second or third mow. You have to pick lawns that will make you the most money, otherwise it isn't really worth it. But you should be getting calls shortly. Things take time, you'll be getting calls before you know it, and once they start coming they seem to never slow down.

6. ojpent

ojpent LawnSite Member

I started to line up customer during the winter, and made the mistake to take whatever I could get my hands on to start. Just learn to pick and choose which customers would be best and get a good contract drawn up so you don't lose out..

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

same here. they just came outta no where.....

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i knocked on a door for the first customer and the rest came to me

9. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I bought a 1987 john deere 240 from a church and two of my parents neighbors were getting very crappy service from a guy who mowed to the dirt and would not trim. So I talked to the one neighbor and the next week the other neighbor called me, then they started rolling in, people would stop and get me to mow theirs. That was in 2000 now I still have them and have 9 more and a huge church, and I too have a full time job. Just be patient they will come, I sound like field of dreams dont I.

10. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Couple of weeks and the 2nd customer I got is still with me after 8 years in the biz.