1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long do I wait before seeding?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Terry Somers, May 7, 2003.

1. Terry Somers

Terry Somers LawnSite Member

A customer of mine uses a local company to apply fertilizer and pesticides. She had her first application of Lesco step 1, She called it, applied about 3 week ago. She wants Me to slit seed Her lawn now. Is it safe or should I wait longer than the 3 weeks that have already passed? We have had an average amount of rain since and She has not yet used Her sprinklers on the lawn. Thanks.
  2. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

wait till fall..... what they have put in is the 1st app of a 2app pre m (weed control) the seed you put down will not come up... also the barrier they have in will be broken by the slit seeder. the end result will be a yard full of weeds... trust me everybody will be alot happier if you wait till fall.......
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Then why wouldn't the seed come up? But as Strickdad said, you're better off waiting to Fall.
  4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

the residual effects of the pre-m??
  5. airborne1

airborne1 LawnSite Member

I am using demension and the seed company told me 6-12 weeks is this wrong?

Where can I find this info?
  6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

"I am using demension and the seed company told me 6-12 weeks is this wrong?

Where can I find this info?"

Read the label. By law you are supposed to read the label before using, so you should have seen the answer already??
  7. Generally i would advise to seed in fall, BUT, what was applied in lesco step 1? Need to know chemical, % active ingredient, rate /1000, then somebody could give an intelligent answer!!!!!!!!

lesco step 1 doesn't tell use anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

Generally, "STEP 1" is Pre-M .86% w/ fert. We sell two rounds of Pre-M here in Missouri.

At any rate, the best thing to is wait until fall. If she cannot wait, then you have two choices.
    #1 Spray "Activated Charcol" to neutralize the Pre-M. NASTY NASTY NASTY product.
    #2 Till up the whole lawn and renovate.

With an app of Pre-M of Dimension the mininmum you can reseed is 12-13 weeks. Not sure what the Jersey summers are like, but with it being so close to summer, you may not get good enough establishment before the summer heat and droughts set in.

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Out of a whim, I experimented applying different pre-em's in late fall for early summer crabgrass control. Guess what? A fall application of Dimension actually gave good crabgrass control the following summer! That's 6 months later! My conclusion is, unless the chemical barrier is mechanically broken, you might as well forget about overseeding for 1 year from an application with Dimension.