How long do you keep your mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Sep 8, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Just wondering how many year or hours before you get rid of a mower? I'm thinking that when the warranty is up its time to look at some new stuff.

2. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

I know there are many who dont agree with me, but I just keep putting new berrings and rebuild my engines on my mowers, its a lot cheeper to spend 1500.00 or so on a payed off mower than it is to pay 350.00 400.00 per month a the latest greatest mower out there. I never have enough money to pay cash on a 7 or 8 thousand daller mower im always have to finance them so after i finally get one payed off its hard for me to let it go just cause it has some wear on it. Now i have talked to others who always traid in or sell their mowers after two years to get the most traid in value for them against the new mower but I useually dont have my new mower payed off in less than 3 years so i would just be getting deeper and deeper into dept.

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I run my mowers forever :p . Well as long as I can and Im a pritty good mechanic. I our situation, we mow LOTS of road fronts/sides and around lakes and such. They see above average abuse from rough ground and dusty conditions. I wouldnt abuse a new mower like that, only 2 or 3 year used walk behinds for us. Sand blast & paint them in winter months and fix/maintain them when they need it. If u mow nice yards all the time then I would buy/lease new and turn over every other season. Everybody has different mowing challanges so it depends on what u got to mow.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Till the wheels fall off. Then rebuild them. Then use them until the 2nd set of wheels fall off. Then rebuild them. Well you get the picture. My oldest stander is a 1998. Ran hard and put back wet. My 32" metro is a 1997 also ran hard (by first owner and me) and put back wet.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The plan was to run my machines until they drop but it hasn't worked out that way. I got a really great deal on a used Dixie Chopper with only 29 hours so my old one with 1300 hours got replaced after 4 seasons. My Exmark Metro kinda became a pain in the butt after about 1000 hours. A spindle here, a bearing there, this sleeve, that bushing. I just got tired of replacing the small stuff.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

4 years max, usually 3 I trade them in.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a small operator, and don't have a large inventory. My Exmark Viking is on the eighth season, at least 800 hours per season. I've repowered it once, and may have to replace the engine again after this season. Yes, replace the spindle bearings, but hardly any other repairs. It mows the same way today as it did when it was new.

My Stihl equipment has lasted for years and years. One LawnBoy has lasted for seven years -- now on part-time use, the the newer one gets used 6-9 hours per day (my wife works with me most of the time and this is the only piece of equipment she uses).

Since I'm owner/operator, the equipment gets care and maintenance. I do all my own maintenance work.

I suppose I should be happy that many of you buy new so quickly -- the manufacturers keep building equipment. If everybody was like me, and a few others who have posted here with like patterns, the manufacturers would be smaller and fewer. So, thank you who buy when your equipment goes out of warranty.

8. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the time and patience for downtime and nickel and dime repairs, run em til the tires fall off. I don't.

9. Gnyus

Gnyus LawnSite Member
    from Canada

My 21''s last about 3-4 years and I just bought a new wb with extended warranty to 66 months. I plan on weeking it for 4 years then sell. The Extended Warranty is tranferable to the second owner.

10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Part of our fleet of mower consist of 4 52' toro Z. I had the chance to sell 3 of them in one weeks time. One to a farmer, a buddy on mine an hour away and the other went to a person we were mowing for until they sold the house and the new owners like our mowers. Each one had 750 - 1200 hours. To me, that was a great way to upgrade machines cuz our dealer would of never gave me the amount for which I sold them privately plus I received a great deal with our dealer cuz I bought everything straight out, no trade ins. So that is my expereince with "keeping" mowers.