1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how long do you run a mower? hrs? yrs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshnwright, Jun 17, 2010.

1. joshnwright

joshnwright LawnSite Member

:usflag:I have a 5 yr old cub cadet tank 25 hp kaw with 850 hrs, 5 yr old 52" wb cub commercial 19 hp kaw w/500 hrs , and a 48" wb cub commercial 17 hp kaw w/450 hrs Im thinking about replacing the tank I use it alot and wanna know how long you all run yours and how old thay are thanks

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i buy a new machine every 2 years and rotote the next oldest one out of the lineup.
  3. JohnBanks

JohnBanks LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I run mowers two years and about 400 to 500 hours a year. Ran my 420 John Deere for forever before I started buying and trading in ztr..
  4. joshnwright

I like my tank but I guess its nickle and diming me maybe ill keep her around as a back up
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My oldest lawn mower is a 1997, I haven't a clue how many hours are on it
    but it has probably mowed 4-5 thousand yards easy, as time passed the rust
    has eaten through parts of the deck you can see light coming through.

I'm not kidding, I used it today, all day.

It did cost me an hour getting out of the house because the front tire was leaking air,
    turns out a piece of dirt or rust got stuck on the valve stem so after removing the wheel
    and pulling the stem several short and strong bursts of air cleared that all up,
    slapped a new stem in it, filled it up with air, popped it back on and gtg.

It dawned on me as I was working on it, I don't think I've ever replaced either caster tire.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  6. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Lawnboy commercial 21". The back wheel just fell off. It's 11 years old. Guess it's done.
  7. Springmeadows

Springmeadows LawnSite Senior Member

My oldest is a 1996, it has 2400 hrs. Still running & cutting great, no need to get rid of it. A new walker is just too expensive...
  8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

16hp walkers can go 2500 or more before rebuild. The liquid cooled motors can go 3-5000 hrs. My WB's with Kawi's dont have hour meters but will go a minium of 5 years running 20 hrs per week..soo at least 3000 hours...my last one I had for 7 years.
  9. joshnwright

I cant keep a push mower, I bought a new TORO recycler 2 months ago the gearbox broke today:hammerhead:
  10. PPS.inc

PPS.inc LawnSite Member
    from Earth

got an 02 dixie with over 2000 hrs. does its job just like day 1. take care of them and your good to go...