How long do you run your trimmer line?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Jun 26, 2004.

?

How long do you run your trimmer line?

1. As long as my guard will let me run it.

74 vote(s)
    70.5%
  2. As long as my machine can handle w/o guard on.

30 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. The shorter the better.

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. I dont use a trimmer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

This ties into the other two polls i believe so i guess i better cover this as well.
    How long do you run your trimmer line? Personally i like mine as long as my trimmer can handle, thus i have big trimmers.:D

Also, and you will have to write here as i dont have room to post all these options as well, do you think short or long line does a better cut? Do you feel you are at the peak of productivity with the line length you have chosen? Just curious as my dealer and i are at very different ends of the spectrum on this issue and i am going to write on it. I am just curious if i am unusual in how i run or if this is the norm. I think it is the latter but only voting will tell i guess. Thanks for ya'lls time.
    Sincerely,
    Acute Cut (That guy from turf)

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i like to run my line long, i have the stihl 110 and i cant stand having the line short, longer line = better cut IMO

3. Acute Cut

ill post this here too since it is so important. Dont forget to vote too guys. I want to use statistics in my article in TURF and i need actual numbers to work with if i can. Thanks guys for ALL your help. I REALLY appreciate the fact that yall would take the time to post here on these polls. It REALLY helps me alot. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!:drinkup: :help: I cant find the thumbs up smiley so imagine like 6 of them here!

4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

whats a trimmer? never heard of that.... well really i leave my guards on incase of insurance reasons...

5. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

In my opinion anyone that uses a trimmer without the guard on is crazy! The liability and safety issues is tremendous. I prefer to leave my guard on.

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I must be crazy. And have been trimming for well over 20 years.....no guards. They are the first thing to come off of new trimmers.

Guards= Waste of time/money

LINE= L O N G

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I cut the guards back about 3-4 inchs and remove the silly blade they put there to keep the string to short. I do keep guards on but I like my string around 10-12 inchs per side.

8. seymour_glass

seymour_glass LawnSite Member

Why would anybody want to run their line constantly short?

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

so it can go inside the spool and waste more time to get it out!

10. Acute Cut

well, i am more in line with the posted thinking here, look at the other posts. Insurance and regulations i can understand. Fear of the unknown and slowness are sad excuses. Cutting guards pretty much eliminates all coverage you had with them on i think.
    ElephantNest:
    HERE HERE! Preach on!!!!

I said it in another post and i'll say it here, i challenge anyone with a guard on to keep up with me. Guantlets dropped and all that!!!!
    Those that run LONG lines and BIG weedeaters can back me up here. There is NO comparisson. I have over 10 years experience on this and i dont personally know anyone faster or better than me. (I know they are out there, i just dont know them personally) Beer is wonderful isnt it?
    Anyways, i have yet to meet anyone with a "Real" trimmer that could keep up. Usually these wanna be's run medium trimmers and guards on and then talk smack and wanna compete. I laugh and try and get them on their way but some are persistant.

Here is the contest, one side of ditch to the end. About 200 ft. Four feet high or so. I can do both sides total in about 10 minutes max. (Only done every other week so is kinda long.)

Usual outcome, i win, then start doing their side and meet them OVER half way back! I aint great, but guards on and line short is plain ol slow as heck.

I aint saying no guards is right, im just saying it is WAY faster and better IMO.