how long do you run your ztr at one time and in a day?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Jul 7, 2008.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

just wondering how long at one time people run their machines and how many total hours rad in a day?
  2. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

The biggest lawn I mow right now takes 1 hr on the Z. and I use it on every lawn I do. I guess about a total of 7-8 hrs per day.
  3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The majority of my crews z's run on average 550 hours per year.
    Most sites are typically mown 34-38 times per year.
    A daily useage I haven't figured out but a nutshell questimate would be around 8.5 hours or so. Fuel bills confirm this as being somewhat accurate.
  4. JoeKidd

JoeKidd LawnSite Member

I work for a cemetery and mow for 7 hours a whack three days a week on a Deere 717a Z with a half hour lunch break. There's absolutly no shade either, by the end of the day I'm ready to get the hell off and have some cold ones. I definatly miss the down time between jobs when I was working for regular landscaping companies.
  5. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

My cub see's 6 hours a day once a week, and 5 hours a day twice a week.

On the 6 hour day, it's probably running for 5 hours straight.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Bear in mind I'm a solo. I use mine a whole lot less than I thought I did which is pretty amazing given that I have a functioning hour meter. Most of my lawns are around 1/4 acre and less. I have a 60" ZTR. The numbers at one time go something like (in minutes)
    7, 11, 30 (1/2 acre), 11, 41 (one acre), 22, 9, 21, 8, 7, 12 etc. I spend a lot more time trimming, edging and blowing the places off.
  7. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

You do 1/4 acre lots with a 60"??? just a tad over kill, but you sure get done fast.
  8. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

There are crews down here that would be using 72" mowers on 3000 sq ft lots if they are open without a ton of beds in the yard.

Personally I use a 54" on just about every yard I can with the exception of the ones that are gated.

The longest I am running right now is on Monday's and my 5 acre gets it running about 2 hours straight with my 36" belt running about the same amount of time. After that is the shop and that has us running about an hour a piece and then my 2 acre lot at about 30 to 40 minutes a piece.

I put those "fancy dan" Autolite extreem start plugs in and run Royal Purple 10w30 with a Napa gold oil filter and I am not getting better fuel economy than I was with the NGK plugs. Burning about 1.1 to 1.5 gph in both mowers.
  9. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i think at one time my biggest lawn my mower runs for like 40 minutes