1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long do you want to work alone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toddppm, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Seems like alot of you'all are working alone or with only a part-time helper. Just wondering how many of you want to keep working like that busting your ass everyday? When i started full time i never intended to be a 1,2, or 3 man show. I don't want to be busting my ass everyday. I eventually want to be able to just do estimating and the fun work when i want like tree trimming and takedowns. In other words , do the physical stuff when i want to not because i have to. I've got 4 guys now and it's a big strain on finances and a sacrifice for me now, but i hope within the next couple years i can climb out on top and be somewhat free to do what i want. Just my personal goal. So, do you'all want to work alone?
  2. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

For ever.
  3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I will work alone, with hiring help once in a while as long as I can. If I grow to where I can't physically do it, then I will hire more.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Todd, That sounds like a great plan. I've got part time help now (10-20 hours a week). Having help enables me to take on the larger accounts that I could never do alone.
  5. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with esby. If I have lots of work to do I'll see how far I can go solo. If not, get someone. mainly at spring to help with he cleanups and heavy work.
  6. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I see more progress when i work with a worker and thats what keeps me going. Working alone seems to drag a bit and doesent seem to make the day go as fast. I always make more $ working with 1 than i do alone even after paying them, so why not. To me its worth the hassle and i dont like the idea of having to rely only on myself even though i am like a rock (lol).

Say you pull your back or break a leg or anything. Thats when the workers will come in handy. I see the lawncare business as a managment position not a do it yourself and everything revolves around one mower one guy one weed wip and work all day to make decent money. I guess its not for me but i do agree that working alone has its benefits.
  7. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I can sy hire a helper as soon as you can afford to. some things come up in life you might not want to think about it but a injury illness etc can sneak up on you .....thats when a trusted trained helper comes in. Run them threw the temp agency....it saves cash on ins and workers comp plus they handle taxes etc.
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Until the end of the week. I will be hiring help for the aeration season only, just too much with mowing and aeration, about killed me last year. Phone is already ringing off the hook for aeration jobs.

9. kutnkev

kutnkev LawnSite Member

just so you know in md/dc/va a laborer from a temp agency cost 11.75 hr. w/4hr min. that includes everything including drop off and pick at your job site dont want to advertise so i wont give names unless asked. i used to drive the van for one for awhile and lots of solo guys use them until they find one they like then they take him on full time or just keep him through the agency.
  10. EarthWorks

EarthWorks LawnSite Member

Since we are in the service industry the more service we sell the more we make. As long as eficiency is kept in mind The more people you have working the more service is produced. In orfer to grow and prosper I try to duplicate my labor by hiring others.