How long does a blade stay balanced

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaybee, May 14, 2001.

1. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

The topic of how important blade balancing is has been discussed on many threads. However after 13 hrs. of use I changed blades on my Lazer and looking at the used blades I wonder how long they actually were in balance. The buildup of grass varied on each blade. It was quite thick in spots which adds weight to the blade, and the nicks that were on the blade must affect the balance of each blade. So, how long does a balanced blade stay balanced on the machine?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I guess the only true answer to this is, until they get unbalanced. As you said, there are so many things that can affect this. One nice thing about cutting wet grass is, you don't get build up on the blades. It's mostly from mowing grass in dry situations. That build up will get like concrete. I always scrape the blades off before sharpening them or balancing them. I will have to put a blade with build up on the balancer and see if they are off balance before cleaning them.

The lawns we mow, we rarely hit things, so the blades stay pretty much knick free. When I first started out I had a few undesirable lawns that I hit stuff all the time, like a 16 lb. sledge hammer in a tall uncut lawn, for a neighbor of a customer that their mower had broken down. Now that caused a BIG knick in my blade. :)