1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how long does edger blade last?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 21, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just wondering how many uses u all get from a new edger blade. i am finding that each blade only lasts me about 6 or 7 properties( about 100 ft or edging each, walkways, etc) . and these r just maint type jobs, no first time edging .
  2. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I can go about a week on averedge

3. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

They last me about 45-60 days. I try to adjust the blade so it only cuts deep enough to do the job. I don't know if this helps but I would think that if it is cutting too deep that is unecessary.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wow, i think im really doing something wrong. yes i do go down real deep with it, it always looks good, but i think the machine may be on an odd angle, it dont feel like im hitting anything.
  5. script

script LawnSite Member

I use a stick edger, and the blade last about 3-4 days.
  6. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

There is not a good answer for this. It all depends on how you use the blade. Most of our work is against concrete and I generally have the blade vetical and touching the concrete. A blade can last from one day to a week depending on how deep it is cutting. Deciding when to change a blade is another question. Sometimes I try to get too many uses with one. Then waste time having to change it on the job.
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

It depends on how long you are edging. We edge pretty much every week, so 4-5 days is the norm per edger (stick). The other day, I edged one that hadn't been done in about a month, it about single handedly took out a fresh blade inside 30 minutes. It would go longer, but I prefer new blades at 85 cents each :)
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

run that sucker down to just above the ##'s on the blade ...which for us is..... daily .... sometimes twice a day ....depending on how much edging is cement ....our St Aug forces each n every job to get edging
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

With active bermuda we edge every week also. I usually change the blade about once a week. We did one 2 days ago that had not been done in at least a year. It put a good bit of wear on the new blade.
  10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

A day if I'm lucky. We edge everything we do everytime we do it. I pay $1.39 per blade so it's the least expensive thing we have to buy, we just use a lot of them.