How long does it last?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jtrice11, Jun 23, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Based on your experience how long does the Lesco slow release fertilizer last (18-0-18 for example) I live in Minnesota. 6 weeks?

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

irrigation and mower impact(shattering the prills) and percentage of the slow release(100,50, etc.) determine how long it will continue to release. 10 weeks is not unreasonable under normal summer conditions for 50% and above products cutting at higher turf heights (less picking up prills) and mulching the lawn to keep nutrients and prills where they are.

3. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, that's quite a bit longer than I had expected. Will you know by observing the turf when the fert is pretty well "spent"?

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

jtrice11

All manufacture will supply a "Activity Index" if requested. This is sometimes is call a "release rate index." Not all Slow releases are made the same and therefore will vary on residual. Of course other factors will also effect the release rate, Like heat and water. I am not going into all the different types of Fertilizer and the way they release. But in general Microbial activity and moisture are the main factor that effect release rate. The Activity Index is just a basic test and your results will vary.

BTW there is a move on to put the Activity index on the label.

5. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Putting the Activity Index on the labels would ROCK! Just as a side note - the amount of time your distributor has held the bag in his/her 'storage' facility will also affect the release period of said fertilizer.

You can get longer release periods from Homogenous fert's such as Lebanon's ProScape line...but they get expensive real quick.

Ric how ya been there bud?

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sniggly

My man, I have been fine. Just burned out. so I gave up the ghost and sold out. But I am going back in just the pesticide business part time. I want just enough business too keep me from getting bored and not enough to worry about. I will do it as a one man band which might be a problem since I haven't been outside working in the heat in several years.

BTW I send an e-mail to our old friend and got a reply believe it or not. That person seems to be doing fine but is looking for a CPO:D :dizzy: :dizzy:

PS. Homogeneous fert's are top of the line and I won't knock them at all. But I might argue the fact they are longer slow release just because they are Homogeneous.

7. Shadygrove

Shadygrove LawnSite Member

The turf will start to get soft and want to go dormant (take a nap)...JMO

8. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

You got a reply back? Wow....You think she ever figured out that we were really wishing her the best?

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sniggly

That was a lot of fun and I guess you and I found a common bond, over what was a very short but very funny run. I do kind of Miss some of those posts. But I every so often get a E-mail asking advise. I reply with honest advise and a recommendation to go back into the oldest profession.

10. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Well goodonya! I dont blame you for keeping it small this time around. 3 years ago I made the decision to keep it small and am happy. I keep just enough contractual work for an honest 40 hour week, and when I find someone that is willing to pay me the ridiculous fees I charge for extras, I take their money and run----->to the bank.

So you are going to keep what, 1 truck and that's it?