How long does it take for a herbicide to soak in the leaves and be safe?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bigslick7878, Jul 10, 2011.

1. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Example- I spray a herbicide weed killer(standard stuff Weed B gone whatever...), how long before the leaves uptake the spray and there is no danger to animals and what not?

On the bottle it says it is rain proof within 30 minutes, but I know it must take longer for any herbicide to really soak in. A day? Two? A Mowing?

I will explain why I am asking this after a few responses.
  2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Wouldnt mow for cpl days no pets on lawn for a day What I tell customers
  3. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

What does the label say (as far as danger to animals)?
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Generally it just says no re-entry to site until dry.

Now, if you look at the agriculture application restrictions, it says no re-entry without PPE's for one week.

Quit the variable.

5. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

I have kids and show dogs & spray Eagle 20EW (when needed), Merit generic, Dimension or Per-M etc on my complete yard. Where the kids/animals go, I fence off half the yard and spray or whatever. Sprinklers run for 1" a week. Next week I rotate and do the same...

I just do not wait till dry since my kid and dogs are not worth the risk...
  6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Excellent answer +1
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

What is your daytime temps?????

Now did you add a surfactant to this mixture.
  8. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Temps around 90. around here.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good question. A few years ago when 2,4-D was under strong attack by green faction. A number of experiments were done to elucidate this. In Canada, if I recall. Lawns were sprayed and then at intervals of a few minutes, graduate student volunteers walked on the lawns wearing paper shoes over rubber boots. The paper shoes were soaked in solvents and the micrograms of 2,4-D were anayzed. I think they found that once the solution had dried, very little of the 2,4-D could be rubbed off on the paper shoes. The experiments were repeated by rubbing cheesecloth on the treated grass. And barefoot volunteers walked on the grass--their urine was analyzed to detect how much was absorbed. Once dry people can absorb only a small amount.
  10. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

2-4D crystallizes once it dries......just look around the lid on your containers.
    There is a new product that is supposed to be amine that is suspended in gel form.
    Forgive me for not being precise as I only read the label once.........this is how I understand the product to be. I believe it is called Trimec 1000. It contains 2-4DEA
    Either way, you should have curl, decline, and chlorosis is as little as 7-14 days.