How long does it take for customers to sign up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coif_kid, Mar 11, 2004.

1. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I've been giving out a few estimates to customers. I scout out there lawn with them and then go home and write it up. I then send it to them. Afterwards I call them up to see what they think. How long does it take before they decide whether they want to sign up with you or not?
  2. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

If I were you I'd change my system around. When you get busy you won't have the time to go home and write up an estimate every 30 minutes.
    When I get a call to do an estimate I go to the property, and walk it with them, then write it up with them there, and tell them what my price is. Then they will either say "yes", "no" or "I'll talk it over with my husband/wife". At this point I have done all I can do, and I am waiting on them, not the other way around. Usually they will tell you yes or no right on the spot, and you are done.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

they sign on the spot. what i do is, refuse to leave unless they sign
  4. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Problem is I have a good friend who looks at the property and relays the information to me. See I'm not at home during the estimating season, which makes things difficult. I have to call the friend and see his drawing of the property and the shape of it. Afterwards I can then make an estimate.
  5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

why don't you let your friend do the estimates for you?
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I give them one week to decide, then after that the estimate and prices will change. For renewing customers for the next season they are allowed 3 weeks to decide.
  7. betterlawns

betterlawns LawnSite Member

I too give them a verbal estimate on site. If they agree to service I will then mail them an agreement for services with the price listed. Your best bet to close a sale is when meeting them face to face.
  8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

you cant sell your self over the phone or though the mail face to face is what works

teach your buddy to estimate
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I know that many of my customers like to know that it is me doing the work. They also like that it is me that is out initially looking at their property to do the estimate. It is a more personal approach and I sell my personal service. Now I am not the biggest operation by far and I know other companies do succeed by having an estimator but you may get better results if you can get to know the potential customer right off the start. Just my experience. Good Luck
  10. MY PUPPY

MY PUPPY LawnSite Member
    from mass.

If you go to the homes an do the estimate with the customer
    there and present the bid at that time and let them know what
    you will be doing for them you will have better results.