1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TURF BUDDY, Oct 1, 2004.

TURF BUDDY LawnSite Member

Tempetures Are Starting To Come Down, I Havent Put Out Pre-emergent Yet For Fall Cool Season Weeds. I Have Already Seen Some Clover And Dandilion Starting To Come Up. My Question Is "how Long Before Pre-emergent Starts To Work When Applied"
    Thanks For Your Input
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

First , I must ask
    Are you licensed ?

No Bill I Am Not But Will Be In A Few Weeks. I Have All The Study Guides From The Extension Office. Meanwhile I Am Learning All I Can From Those That Are More Expeirenced Than Myself. Rest Assured That I Am Not Doing Lawn Treatments Without A Licence. Although My Own Back Yard Is My Training Area. I Would Appreciate Any Info That You Or Others May Have To Offer. Thanks
  4. ArizPestWeed

The reason I asked is because it's kinda answered in the label.

Your question kinda suggest you don't know how it works .

Not trying to be mean , but , it's not a very good question.
  5. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I dont know Olk, turf but pre emergent only stops weeds from growing from seed. So I not sure why your looking for results on dandies and clover with a pre app. You should have used a post control
  6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Turf Buddy, this is a friendly post. Others ask if you have a license for a reason.
    I hope you don't do anything to other peoples yards until you also have the insurance. At least in Missouri you must have property/liability insurance so if you kill the grass or tree or bush or ? in a customers yard the insurance will pay to replace it.

I just got my license in July and I have gained light years of knowledge in a few months from reading books and getting information from lawn sites.
    So take your time and make sure you know what you are doing.

You can kill grass real quick if you put down to much chemicals (granular and especially liquids).

READ the labels of any product and follow instructions for safety such as wear gloves, mask, etc.. They have CAUTION or DANGER or ? labels for a reason. CHEMICALS ARE DANGEROUS.
  7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Just make sure you get them down before the seed germinates. Simple as that. Exactly when depends on which zone you are in.
    olderthandirt likes this.

Sorry if I came off unfriendly, was not my intention I guess maybe I am a green horn at lawn treatments, but if you dont ask, how ya going to learn, I will probally ask more dumb questions in the future maybe I should re-phrase my question. If I apply Trimec, and Barricade on the same day and lets say the yard has never been treated before , so there wouldn't be a residual of pre-emergent from a previous treatment. I expect instant results from the Trimec, but what I want to know is how quickly the (water soluable) Barricade's effect takes place on the seed. WHEN IT HITS THE GROUND, A FEW HOURS, DAYS???? what?

Yes I am insured, I intend to do everything the right way, I believe that is a requirement before you can be issued a permit in Okla. Right now I am concentrating on getting my sprayer and spreader calibrated and practicing in my yard only till I'm ready for customers Thank you all for your advice.
  9. ArizPestWeed

OK , sorry if this reads unfriendly ........................

The lable clearly states that the preemergent only kills the seed as it germinates .
    It will do nothing to plants that are up .
    The seed has to germinate in order for preemergent to work.
    The pre m kills the plant before it emerges
    Post emergent , like Glyfosate ( round up ) kills it after it comes up .
    Preemergent doesn't let it come up cause it kills the plant as it germinates

So , if you apply the preemergent now , it will control only what weeds plan to gereminate over the next few months .

Clearly , you've not read the lable or yopu would not be asking this question.

Do yourself a favor and READ THE LABLE .
  10. ArizPestWeed

Oh yes , I forgot .
    The pre m needs .5 inches to activate it .
    Then it's ready .
    Just like the lable states .