how long does it take, to get a lawn in shape?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 17, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you take over a lawn that someone else has massacred. you take over in fall. the lawn is infested with crabgrass, broadleafs, and unhealthy grass. you start the process this fall, how long will it take, before that lawn is " a beautiful lawn", holds its color, and fights off weeds and disease, and holds up well during drought/heat conditions. how long do you think, taking into consideration weather, and customer stupidity (not watering, watering too much, etc). how long do you tell them? one year, 2 yrs?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

3 years to have a nice lawn

3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree.......

4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

If you really want to have it looking good and you stay on top of your fert/pesticides plus make sure the customer waters as specified, then I say in one growing season you should be able to turn around a lawn.
    I had one customer that I picked up and they had bugs and weeds galore, basically needed re-sodding. But instead I started applications and kept them up on watering within one year it completely turned around. If you work hard it wont take that long.

5. Cimarron Landscape

Cimarron Landscape LawnSite Member

It depends....completely.
    Let's say they had zoysia. It'd take at least 4 years, due to the slow growth.

Bermuda...probably a lot less due to the fast growth. Weeds are a prob. though.

It also all depends on the Ph. Here in Texas, 6.0 is perfect to grow everything.
    Depends on what they've put on in the past. Did anything hurt the lawn?

I'd say with St. Augustine, if you had a sprinkler system and watered religiously, you would be able to turn the lawn around in 2 years. I'm doing it at my house :)
    ~Brian

6. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

4 weeks...kill and reseed.

7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

7 years and counting..

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

1 season replace lawn.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

2-3 unless you kill it off completetly and start off fresh IMO

10. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

The 2-3 is the safest thing to say. Assuming you're gonna work with what they've got and not kill everything off. 2 yrs. though is probably what it would take. I'd tell them it's gonna get worse before it gets better, but they should then see steady improvement. Plant some winter rye too. Keep em looking good for a long, long time over the cold months.