How long does it take to lay a pallet of sod?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cutting edge, Feb 14, 2002.

1. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

About how long does it take to lay a 504 sq. ft pallet of sod (rectangles, not rolls)?

thanks,
    Derek

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

10-15 minutes.

3. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

4. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

Stonehenge, is that with 2 guys? I come up with 0.7 manhours (42 mins)using 1sq yd rolls from the truck to front or side yard.

5. Stonehenge

from Midwest

For us it's actually 70 yards (630 sqft), and it's 2 guys plus me watching/helping/supervising (which accounts for about 3 yards :) )

That's just laying. That's not unloading pallets from the truck. It's not cutting in, either.

6. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Here we get 64 ROLLS at 7 square feet each for a total of 448 sq ft. I figure on all my bids 300sq ft/man hour. We probably average 400 to 500 square feet per man hour.

7. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

TIP for paver installers: gas powered paver saws cut in sod much better and much faster than a spade or knife.

8. Stonehenge

from Midwest

Digin -

It's very interesting that you say that. I was looking into getting into electronic/underground pet fencing, and tested several methods for cutting a 2" deep groove in the turf. I tried a cutoff saw, with both a diamond-tipped blade and a carbon blade. I found that the blade got packed tight full of soil in a few seconds and then didn't cut well at all.

What did you do for a blade? Did you use a rough wood-ripping blade or something?

9. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Like Stone said.. (2) guys with me watching can lay that kind of sq. ft in about 15-20 mins no probablem... 10 mins at best.

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I agree with the 10 - 15 minutes ... When we were younger we use to have contests ... we once laid a pallet (rolls) in under 5 minutes.... thats with the skid placed fairly close... one guy tossing the other rolling it out. Another silly contest...how many rolls in a wheelbarrow... .. it was either 24 or 25 ..and you had to push it without spilling....ohhhh those were the days lol

diginahole ... I have never seen that method used ... I personally use a sharp spade(edging shovel)... can't get the young guys to do it...they piss around with sod knife's ... I can cut circles around them and Im not down on my knees to do it.