1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long does it take to see results

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Amani, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Amani

Amani LawnSite Member

Hi guys I just wanted to find out how long it took to get results after passing flyers. I have passed ot about 1500 flyers for the last two days and gotten 3 phone calls two of which I got the account. I am new at this kind of business but I have run my own web design business for the last 4 years and it still continues to grow. I am just looking for a new business venture that will give me more time outdoors.
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont expect a ton of calls from the flyers. you'll get either 1 or 2% call rate per 1000. I passed out 1500 flyers in mid to late June and all I received was 10 calls. I got 8 out of the 10. Just keep hitting neighborhoods. Im getting another 1000 made next week. Word of mouth is best though.
  3. Amani

Amani LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pointers. What is the other sure way of getting business in other that word of mouth which I am already doing?
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I think by word of mouth, Chadslawn means referrals. IE a customer likes your work, and tells another person about you.

You can try ads in small local newspapers.

Craigslist has gotten me a few calls and landed me a couple accounts.

We put an ad in a local yellow pages type phone book which only is circulated in our town(population about 10K). That costed me 300 for the year.

And keep passing out flyers. Then do it again in march.

You need to put your business' name in front of someone numerous times, or they will forget you exist.
  5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

as far as being cost effective, fliers are the best for me. costs $30 max for 1k b&w cpoies. response rate varies between 1 and 3%. do NOT put them in mailboxes, as it is a federal issue. newspaper boxes are fai game though. having worked for the paper years ago, i only do it on friday and sunday nights. the sunday paper is so fat that the flier will get lost in it and it also makes it harder on the paper guy. if the paper guy complains, just say "oh, sorry. won't happen again" and hit another newspaper route. next year the same one is fair game again. i also mark the areas i have fliered on a city map so i can avoid duplicating my areas from year to year. another thing that i have found in my market is that i have better response rates from middle class neighborhoods. the high end homes may get up 3-5 fliers a week, so your chances of being the one selected are greatly reduced.
    as far as newspapers, i have had the best response with weekly papers, as the readership is typically elderly and are going to read every word and look at every ad. your sales rep should have a demographic breakdown available.
  6. Amani

Amani LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, all this is making me think of other ways to bring in more business.
  7. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Yellow pages . I still get calls from a 3 year old phone book , I also run an ad in local newspaper . WORD OF MOUTH is your best FRIEND .
  8. LawnmanJ

LawnmanJ LawnSite Member

I say just keep doing what you are doing and like everyone else said Word of mouth helps alot in the business.