How long does it take to solo cut a .25?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Mar 7, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I've cut my own yard ( which is about 1/2 acre ) many times, but using my riding mower mostly; which takes usually around 90 minutes to do front and back. But I was planning on going into biz this year and need to know how long to expect it should take me to do 1/4 acre homes as I already know several people who would like this service from me. So the actual square footage of grass is less than 1/4 acre as the houses are fairly large and take up at least 25% of that space. My gear to start will be merely a self propelled 21", a gas trimmer, and gas blower. One guy has estimated 30 minutes. Is this right or would it be better to figure 40-45m. I have no way to test this unless I go to a friends house and do a pretend cut...lol...which of course would be innacurate and a bit ridiculous anyway. And while I'm at it, how about 1/6th acre homes? Would that be about 1/2 the time of a .25?
    THanks to anyone who would be nice enough to give me some good input on this!:waving:

2. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i would guess with a 21", you could mow, edge, trim, and blow a 1/4 acre in around 35-45min. depending on how hard and fast you work.
    i use 36"WB+V, mow,edge,trim, and blow a 1/4 in around 15-20min.

3. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

I use a 21" and it takes me about 35 mins to cut, trim, edge, and blow my house (about 1/4 acre)

4. green-pa

Wow, is that solo or do u have a worker on the trimming/blowing?

5. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

solo, 2 man: 10-15

6. green-pa

Thanks guys for the info!!!:usflag:

7. e-RoK

e-RoK LawnSite Member

It might take "X" amout of time for Carl Lewis on a 21", and a different time for Louie Anderson. Why not just get a 21" and see how long it takes you?

8. green-pa

Well, I'd do that but there's no grass here yet in IN. ANd I want to make a proper estimate once calls start comming in.

9. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

I agree with mow2nd Ive done it with a 21 in. and a 36in. Taking mytime with a 36 from unloading to back on the trailer 30 min. that includes bagging!:waving:

10. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe look at getting a commercial 36" WB. It is going to be faster not only because of the width of the cutting deck, but the commercial mower is going to have a faster blade tip speed, which in turn relates to a faster, cleaner cut. There shouldn't be any "double-cutting" some areas as there may be with a home-owners mower. (not withstanding any overgrowth or very wet conditions)

Pricing a lawn is determined by more then just the amount of time it takes YOU to mow a lawn ... you also have to take into consideration what the local market will allow. You want to be in the ballpark of what the competition is around you. One thing for sure ... definitely don't be to low!

GO COLTS!

PLEASE go Pacers!