How long does it take you to hydroseed 1 acre?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TurfPro, Nov 27, 2003.

1. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

I have a EasyLawn 900 gallon hydroseeder at my disposal,and approx 3 acres to seed. Although I'm going to price by the SQFT , I'd like to know how long it takes you to Hydroseed 1 acre with your machine. The machine holds 200-250 lbs of mulch(so approx 5-6 tank refills per acre),the water supply is great, and the access to areas to spray is fine. I will have one helper as well.
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

If your good then less than 1 hour. think of it like this, if your capacity wouldnt run out, then it takes as long to hydroseed as it does to wet a lawn. Good meaning you have an eye to see even coverage and aim well.
  3. worthbrown

worthbrown LawnSite Member

I have a 600 gal Easylawn system, and I can fill mix and spray a load in about 45 min. I think the other post is a typo, it is impossible to spray 5-6 loads in under one hour. On a one acre lot it usually takes me about 6 hours with a good water source spraying by myself. With a 900 gal seeder, it may be a little quicker, but if you have not used the machine much, you may add some time for that. You could probably do the 3 acres in 2 days.
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I was posting actual spray time.... I also said if your capacity wouldnt run out.. 2 days to seed 3 Acres... I feel that is slow. tractor seeder or power seeder would be faster. And We both know once your material is mixed then Hydro is up to 4 times faster..... If you are filling up by conventional water line that will greatly increase your time. But still disagree with your figures. But I am also not trying to offend so please dont take it wrongly.
  5. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

What's the difference with spraying time and time that you spend in prep and mixing. Work is work. If you just charge for the time you actually spray at what rate do you charge?

This is where I loose it for the business. So many "professionals".

This site is really sinking.
  6. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Plan on about 6 hrs total.Mix/spray/cleanout.
  7. worthbrown

worthbrown LawnSite Member

No offense taken, and I am telling him how long it takes me. Lets do a little math. 3 acres at 1500 lbs per acre of mulch = 4500 lbs, that is 90 bales of mulch. 3 acres at 300 lbs of seed per acre = 900 lbs of seed, that is 18 bags of seed. I use water soluable fertilizer, about 120 lbs per acre, that is 360 lbs or just under (15) 25 lb bags. I also use about 200 lbs of granular fertilizer per acre, that is (12) 50 lb bags. I use poly fibers and tack, but they do not take up much space, but still takes a while to pour them in. I use a 1500 gal nurse tank with a 2" pump, so I usually have enough water, but it still takes 10 minutes to drive to the nurse tank (parked at the street) and fill with water, then add all of the ingredients. This is alot of materials, and 45 minutes turnaround is what it usually takes me with a 600 gal unit. With a 900, you will fill up less, but take a little longer to fill and spray. We will have to agree to disagree, because I will still doubt that even if you only count spray time, you can spray an acre in less than an hour.
  8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I use a 1000 gal bowie and adverage about 3 hrs per acre, using a hose, maybe a little less with a good water supply, a lot less using the turrent gun. The six or eight hours sounds about right with the turrent gun for 3 acres. I would think that you could use more that 250 lbs of mulch per load with the easylawn machine. Increaseing the mulch will increase the coverage per tank.