1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

how long does it usually take?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Target Lawn Care, Feb 23, 2005.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

and knock on the doors and talk to people, be different. Most guys hope for 1/2% a percent, I get between 4-6% when I take the time to talk about my company

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

You can get 5000 door hangers, full color both sides for under $400 on line if you look (www.gotprint.com) (www.48hourprint.com). It will need to be designed $100 or less at (www.designoutpost.com) The local guy I checked with wanted $1750 for 1,000 of them. Color will get a better response I think, but start out making a nice one and take it to get copied in bulk. Keep hammering the same neighborhoods every month to keep the routes tight

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

The calls can come anywhere from 5 minutes after it's left on the door, to a year later. I've gotten both.

And yes, it is definitely worth looking into an online printer to print them for you. Almost alway cheaper then local (and I mean considerably cheaper!).

Check out www.lawncaredoorhangers.com where you can buy 5,000 and get 5,000 free.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I guess that 4-6% rate of return when "talking about your company" (which btw is still a part-time solo LCO, correct?) also includes your admitted intentional lowballing of other LCO's....you know where you have admitted on here that you walk up to customers lawns that you know have an LCO after that LCO leaves and ask them how much they are paying them and then tell them you'll do it for a cheaper price if they drop that LCO?

5. chevyman1

I only did that last year in some places, and those places had 3 man crews doing it for $35, where my cost is only $30 for 1 guy (myself). and I am full time now, with over 60K signed up so far, and I will double that by April. If a huge bid comes in I put in for around 165k, then my brother in law is going full time as partners with me too. I learned how to bid competively and not low ball, but in some instances you have to get competitive, it's called sales

6. Target Lawn Care

Target Lawn Care LawnSite Member

And this thread just took a turn for the worse

7. chevyman1

how so? because people disagree? that's not a bad thing

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Twenty or thirty minutes.

:D